Tuesday 19 January 2021

STRESS AMD STRESS MANAGEMENT BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

 

BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

43. STRESS AMD STRESS MANAGEMENT

 

A

When work is stimulating

My name’s Patricia and I am a university lecturer. I chose this profession because I wanted to do something rewarding: something that gave me satisfaction. Ten years ago, when I started in this job, I had lots to do, but I enjoyed it: preparing and giving lectures, discussing students’ work with them and marking it. I felt stretched: I had the feeling that work could sometimes be difficult, but that is was stimulating, it interested me and made me feel good. It was certainly challenging: difficult, but in an interesting and enjoyable way.’


B

When stimulation turns to stress

‘In the last few years there has been more and more administrative work, with no time for reading or research. I felt pressure building up. I began to feel overwhelmed by work: I felt as if I wasn’t able to do it. I was under stress: very worried about my work. I became ill, and I’m sure this was caused by stress: it was stress-induced.


C

Downshifting

‘Many people want to get away from the rat race or the treadmill, the feeling  that work is too competitive, and are looking for lifestyles that are less stressful or completely unstressful, a more relaxed ways of living, perhaps in the country.




EXERCISES

43.1

Rearrange these sentences containing expressions from A and B opposite.

1. and stimulating. I felt pleasantly stretched. But then the pressure became too much and I felt overworked.

2. and under a lot of stress: I found travelling very tiring. I was overwhelmed by my work. I started getting bad headaches, and I’m sure they were stress-induced.



43.2

Correct the mistakes in italics with correct forms of expressions from C opposite.

Shift down a gear to find a sweeter (1) Lifetype

Your work has taken over your life, you are suffering from stress and sick of running to stay in the same place. Solution? Exchange cash for (2) qualitative time.



 


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments