Tuesday 12 January 2021

WORK AND JOBS BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

 

BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

1. WORK AND JOBS

 

A

What do you do

To find out what someone’s job is you say ‘What do you do?’ Here, Kerstin talks about her job:

‘I work for a large European car maker. I work on car design. In fact, I run the design department and I manage a team of designers: 20 people work under me. It’s very interesting. One of my main responsibilities is to make sure that new model designs are finished on time. I’m also in charge of design budgets.


B

Word combinations with ‘work’

If you work or have work, you have a job. but don’t say that someone has a work. Work is also the place where you do your job.

Here some phrases with ‘work’:


C

Types of job and types of work

A full-time job is for the whole of the normal working week; a part-time job is for less time than that.

You say that someone works full-time or part-time.

A permanent job does not finish after a fixed period; a temporary job finishes after a fixed period.

You talk about temporary work and permanent work.

EXERCISES

1.1

Pierre is talking about his work. Correct what he says.

I work for a French supermarket company. (1) I work about the development of new supermarkets. (2) In fact, I running the development department and (3) I am manage for a team looking at the possibilities in different countries. It’s very interesting. (4) One of my main


1.2

Complete the text with one of the prepositions from B opposite.

Rebecca lives in London and works in public relations. She leaves home for work at 7.30 am. She drives (1) ________________ work.



1.3

Write about each person using words from C opposite, and the words in brackets. The first one has been done for you.

1. I’m Alicia. I work in a public library in the afternoons from two until six. (I/job) ____ I have a part-time job._____

2. My husband works in an office from 9 am to 5.30 pm (he/job)

3. Our daughter works in a bank from eight till five every day. (she/work)


 


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments