Monday 18 January 2021

PERSONAL FINANCE BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

 

BUSINESS VOCABULARY IN USE

35. PERSONAL FINANCE

 

A

Traditional  banking

‘I’m Lisa. I have an account at my local branch of one of the big high-street banks. I have a current account for writing cheques, paying my debit card and paying bill. It’s a joint account with my husband. Normally, we’re in the black, but sometimes we spend more money than we have in the account and we go into the red. This overdraft


B

New ways of banking

‘My name’s Kevin. I wasn’t happy with my bank. There was always a queue, and on the bank statement that they sent each month they took money out of my account for banking charges that they never explained. So, I moved to a bank that offers telephone banking. I can phone them any time to check my account balance (the amount I have in my account), transfer money to other accounts and pay bills.

Now they also offer Internet banking. I can manage my account sitting at my computer at home.’

C

Personal investing

Lisa again:


EXERCISES

35.1

Look at A opposite and say if these statements are true or false.

1. You talk about the local ‘agency’ of a high-street bank.

2. Americans refer to current accounts as check account.

3. A joint account is held by more than one person.


35.2

Kevin is phoning his bank. What expressions in A and B opposite could replace each of the underlined items?

1. I want to swap £500 from my savings account to my ordinary account, because I don’t want to the situation where I’ve spent more than I’ve put in.

2. How much is in my savings account? What’s the amount in there at the moment?


35.3

Match the sentence beginnings (1-3) with the correct endings (a-c). The sentences all contain expressions from C opposite.

1. Investment companies are reporting a sharp increase in the number of

2. Consumers are using their windfall gains from building society

3. Peter is 26 and is wondering whether to join his company pension scheme. He would contribute a small percentage of his salary and his employer would make an equivalent contribution.


 


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments