Monday 27 April 2020

Gerund and Infinitive (1) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 7


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 7
Gerund and Infinitive (1)

The gerund (the -ing form used as a noun) is used

a
as the subject of a sentence:
Swimming is Dorothy's favourite sport.
b
after certain verbs, including most verbs of liking and disliking. See Section 3 of the Appendix.
c
after all prepositions, including adjective-plus-preposition phrases, and verb patterns ending in a preposition:
I'm tired of not having a garden.
He drove off without looking in his rear mirror.

Remember that to has two uses. It can either be used with the infinitive:
They want to pay the bill.

or it can be a preposition, in which case it is followed by the gerund:
I'm looking forward to seeing them.
• You'll soon get used to not drinking coffee.
Object to, be/get used to, look forward to, in addition to are all followed by a noun or gerund.
d
after phrasal verbs:
He went on peeling the potatoes.
e
after common expressions such as. It's (not) worth, waste/spend time, burst out.

In formal English, possessives (my, her, their, etc.) are used with the gerund:
I hope you don't mind my asking.
but in informal English the pronouns me, her, them etc. are more common:
I hope you don't mind me asking.

The passive gerund can be used:
I remember being teased by my classmates at boarding school.

A Correct the sentences if necessary. Tick any which are already correct.

1 To take regular exercise is becoming quite a trend these days.

2 I don’t mind to be interviewed in the street by market researchers.

3 Excuse my interrupting, but I can give you the directions you want.

4 Since he’s been in Ireland, he’s got used to driving on the left.

5 The company achieved its productivity target by offering incentives to the work-force.

6 You can go to sightsee in London from the top of a double-decker bus.

7 In addition to lose all my money, I realised my credit card had been stolen.

8 I can’t stand him coughing and sneezing all over us. He should stay at home if he’s got a cold.

9 It’s no use to tell me all your problems. You’ll have to see the student counsellor.

10 She burst out crying as soon as she saw our shocked faces.

11 Most cats enjoy be stroked.

12 I’m afraid I just can’t face to go into the witness box and tell all those people what happened.

ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments