Sunday 26 April 2020

The future (1) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 4


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 4
The future (1)

The future simple is used

a
in the main clause of a first conditional sentence:

If she passes the test, she'll go up to the next class.
But will is not normally used in the if clause.
b
for predictions after certain verbs like think, expect, wonder and hope, and after certain adverbs like probably and perhaps:

I think it'll stay fine for the race. I hope he'll stay in touch.
c
for instant decisions or spontaneous reactions:
I’ll just answer the phone.
d
or offers of help:
I'll give you a hand, if you like.
e
for promises:
Believe me, I'll never do it again.
f
for invitations and polite requests:
Will you come to the theatre with me?

Except in questions, will/will not are usually contracted to 'll/won't in spoken English. Shall is used mainly in questions with I/we to express offers of help, suggestions or requests for advice:
Shall I give you a lift?
Shall we go swimming?

A Match the category on the left with the correct sentence on the right.

1
prediction

a
Honestly, I’ll work very hard.
2
promise

b
I’m pretty sure he’ll win.
3
first conditional

c
Unless it’s cheap, I won’t buy it.
4
quick reaction

d
Shall we wash up for you?
5
polite request

e
I’ll answer the door.
6
offer of help

f
Will you hold the door open, please?

Will is not used after conjunctions of time, such as after, before, until, when, as soon as. Instead, a present tense is used:
I'll ring you as soon as I find out
. He'll turn up before we've finished.

B. Put shall, will or won't correctly into the sentences. Tick any phrases or sentences which are already correct.

1
I’m afraid I _____________ be able to attend the wedding.
2
He_____ interview you as soon as you ____________ arrive.
3
_____ we try the chicken supreme or the steak pie?
4
There_____ be a lot of trouble when the staff______ find out!
5
By the way,_____ you please take notes?
6
_____ I change your library books for you?
7
Don’t worry, you _______ have to stay for the whole session.
8
Make sure you_____ put the rubbish out before you______ leave.
9
If I _____ see her, I ______ give her your love.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments