Sunday 26 April 2020

I was doing (past continuous) and I did (past simple) ESSENTIAL GRAMMAR IN USE ELEMENTARY


ESSENTIAL GRAMMAR IN USE ELEMENTARY
14. I was doing (past continuous) and I did (past simple)

EXERCISES

14.1 Look at the pictures and put the verbs in the correct form, past continuous or past simple.

Carol ___broke___ (break) her arm last week. It _________ (happen) when she _________ (paint) her room. She _________ (fall) off the ladder.
The train _________ (arrive) at the station and Paula _________ (get) off. Two friends of hers, John and Jenny, _________ (wait) to meet her.
Yesterday Sue _________ (walk) along the road when she _________ (meet) Jim. He _________ (go) to the station to catch a train and he _________ (carry) a bag. They _________ (stop) to talk for a few minutes.

14.2 Put the verb into the past continuous or past simple.

1
A:
What ____were you doing____ (you/do) when the phone __rang___ (ring)?
B:
I ____was watching____ (watch) television.
2
A:
Was Jane busy when you went to see her?
B:
Yes, she _______________ (study).
3
A:
What time _______________ (the post/arrive) this morning?
B:
It _______________ (come) while I _______________ (have) breakfast.
4
A:
Was Margaret at work today?
B:
No, she _______________ (not/go) to work. She was ill.
5
A:
How fast _______________ (you/drive) when the police _______________ (stop) you?
B:
I don’t know exactly but I _______________ (not/drive) very fast.
6
A:
_______________ (your team/win) the football match yesterday?
B:
No, the weather was very bad, so we _______________ (not/play).
7
A:
How _______________ (you/break) the window?
B:
We _______________ (play) football. I _______________ (kick) the ball and it _______________ (hit) the window.
8
A:
_______________ (you/see) Jenny last night?
B:
Yes, she _______________ (wear) a very nice jacket.
9
A:
What _______________ (you/do) at 2 o’clock this morning?
B:
I was asleep.
10
A:
I _______________ (lose) my key last night.
B:
How _______________ (you/get) into your room?
A:
I _______________ (climb) in through a window.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments