Monday 27 April 2020

Reported speech (3) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 11


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 11
Reported speech (3)

Reported requests or commands usually involve the use of the infinitive with to:
'Take that away!' He told me to take it away.
• 'Please don’t talk.' She asked us not to talk.

Use ask for a polite request, beg for an earnest request, instruct or tell for a command, and order for an authoritative command:
She ordered the children to sit down and be quiet.

G Match the direct request or imperative on the left with its reported version on the right.

1
‘Kindly stand back, would you!’

a
She asked us to stand back.
2
‘Please don’t cry!’

b
She ordered us to stand back.
3
‘Leave the room now!’

c
He begged me not to cry.
4
‘Would you mind opening the door?’

d
He told me not to cry.
5
‘Stand back!’

e
He told me to leave the room immediately.
6
‘You mustn’t cry!’

f
He asked me to leave the room.
7
Would you leave the room, please?’

g
She ordered me to open the door.
8
‘Open the door!’

h
She asked me to open the door.

H Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first one, using the word given. You must use between three and eight words, including the word given. (Contractions count as two words.)

1
‘You’ve passed the exam? Oh, well done!’ my aunt said to me.
on
My aunt______________________________ the exam.
2
‘I’m sorry I forgot to set the security alarm,’ said the receptionist,
for
The receptionist______________________________ set the security alarm.
3
‘Why don’t you postpone your trip till the autumn, Jim?’ suggested Sarah.
off
Sarah suggested______________________________ till the autumn.
4
‘Don’t forget to enclose a cheque, will you?’ the clerk said to me.
in
The clerk reminded ______________________________ the envelope.
5
‘It’s a good idea to rehearse your speech in front of a mirror,’ George told me.
run
George advised ___________ ____________ in front of a mirror.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments