Friday 24 April 2020

Present tenses (3) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 2


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 2
Present tenses (3)

The present perfect is used to refer to

a) actions in a period of time which is not yet finished.
Key words: already, yet, so far, up to now, for (a period of time), since (a fixed point in time), ever, before,
b) actions in the recent past where the time is not known or not important.
Keywords: just, recently, lately,
c) actions in the recent past with an effect on the present,
d) habitual actions which started in the past and are still going on.
e) states which began in the past and are continuing.

It is also used
f) with verbs that do not normally take the continuous form (see above).

It does not make sense to use the present perfect with an adverb of finished time, such as yesterday, last week, in 1924.

The present perfect continuous is used to stress that
a) a present perfect action is continuing,
b) the action is very recent,
c) the action has a result in the present.

It is not used with clearly defined, completed or quantified activities:
I've written ten letters so far this morning.
Compare: I've been writing letters all morning.

EXERCISES

D Correct the sentences if necessary. Tick any which are already correct.

1
I am studying English here since August.
2
I’ve interviewed five applicants and it’s still only 11.30!
3
We have met several fascinating people at the conference last week.
4
Once upon a time a beautiful princess has lived in a castle ...
5
Have you ever read any of Hemingway’s novels?
6
I’ve been owning this answerphone for three years.
7
They haven’t been selling all the tickets for the Cup Final yet.
8
My friends are married for a long time now.
9
I haven’t been feeling at all well lately.
10
A light plane has been crashing in the French Alps.
11
I’ve already been speaking to the delegates three times.
12
A barrister in a case which is being heard at the High Court in London has accused the authorities of negligence.

E Complete the following sentences with for or since, and the correct form of the verb in brackets.

1
I (not have) time to do any typing________ Monday.
2
Nobody (hear) from Amanda________ she went to the Seychelles.
3
She (wear) the same old clothes________ a week.
4
He (not ride) a bike________ 1970.
5
I don’t think I (see) you________ the sales conference.
6
It (not snow) here________ ages.
7
They (live) in that house________ it was built.
8
My neighbour (not speak) to me________ more than two years.
9
I (not buy) a new battery________ last year.
10
She (wait) for you________ an horn* and a half.


ANSWER KEY
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments