Monday 27 April 2020

Reported speech (1) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 11


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 11
Reported speech (1)

When direct speech is changed into reported speech, with a reporting verb in the past, the verb tense, the pronouns and the time-phrase may all have to be changed to indicate the time shift to the past:
'We'll be getting married this year,' he said, (direct speech)
He says (that) they'll be getting married this year.
(reported speech with a present reporting verb)

He said (that) they would be getting married that year.
(reported speech with a past reporting verb)

It is usually better style to use more precise reporting verbs than say or tell when turning (usually informal) direct statements into (usually more formal) reported ones. Examples are: advise, apologise, congratulate, promise, remind.

See Section 6 of the Appendix for a complete list of these verbs and their different grammatical patterns.

A Match the direct speech on the left with the most appropriate reporting verb on the right.

1
‘I’ve had better marks than anyone else all term!’

a
threaten
2
‘You did it! I saw you! You stole my watch!’

b
accuse
3
‘If you don’t give me your money, I’ll hit you!’

c
suggest
4
‘I’m very sorry I didn’t get round to writing earlier.’

d
boast
5
‘Why don’t we all go for a drive in the country?’

e
insist
6
‘I must, I simply must see the manager at once!’

f
estimate
7
‘Please, please, don’t tell anyone you’ve seen me!’

g
beg
8
That’s right. Your flight’s taking off at midnight.

h
apologise
9
‘Don’t forget to bring the binoculars, will you?’

i
confirm
10
‘I imagine Mexico City has about 20 million inhabitants by now, but I could be wrong.’

j
remind

B Now put the direct statements in Exercise A into reported speech, using the verbs you have chosen, and starting each sentence with She.

C Follow the instructions for Exercise A

1
‘It’s five o’clock already, you know.’

a
assure
2
Yes, that’s fine. I’ll be able to help.’

b
blame
3
‘Don’t worry, there’ll be no difficulty, believe me.

c
deny
4
‘How kind of you to bring me the flowers!’

d
warn
5
‘If I were you, I’d keep it under my hat.’

e
admit
6
‘.... and another thing, there’ll be a 2% surcharge.’

f
refuse
7
‘I didn’t do it! I didn’t rob the old lady!’

g
congratulate
8
‘No, I’m afraid I’m not prepared to make a speech.’

h
add
9
‘Be careful when you cross the road, won’t you?’

i
point out
10
‘Well done! You’ve passed the test first time!’

j
advise
11
‘I’m sure it was Charlotte who let us down.’

k
thank
12
‘Yes, it was my fault. I caused the accident.’

l
agree

D Now follow the instructions for Exercise B, starting each sentence with He.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments