Monday 27 April 2020

Conditionals, wishes and regrets (2) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 8


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 8
Conditionals, wishes and regrets (2)

B Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first one, using the word given. You must use between three and eight words, including the word given. (Contractions count as two words.)

1
Should you persist in your defiance of instructions, disciplinary action will be taken.
go
If you______________________________ disciplinary action.
2
If you changed your mind, you’d be welcome to join our staff
change
Were you______________________________ delighted to have you on the staff.
3
If I find that what you’ve told me is true, I’ll resign my post,
out
Should your information______________________________ in my resignation.
4
If he fails the final examination, he won’t be able to graduate,
be
Unless he______________________________ unable to graduate.
5
Sally’s dog wasn’t muzzled, and so it bit the postman,
have
If Sally’s dog______________________________ the postman.
6
Because the evidence was withheld, the prisoner was found guilty,
presented
Had the evidence______________________________ acquitted.

I wish/lf only + past simple are used to express a wish or regret about a current situation, by imagining its opposite:
I wish (that) Mark knew about it. If only Mark knew about it!
(Sadly, Mark doesn't know about it.)

Notice also:
I would rather Mark knew about it. (a preference rather than a wish)
It's time (that) Mark knew about it. (In my opinion he should.)

I wish/lf only + would are used for a future wish - something we would like to happen:
If only Mark would come back! (I'm afraid he won't.)
I wish you'd stop doing that. (You're annoying me.)

I wish/lf only + past perfect are used for a past wish or regret:
I wish someone had told Mark about it.

Note that we use could instead of would with wish when the subject pronouns are the same:
I wish I could see him. (NOT */ wish I would see him.)

Were is often used instead of was after wish and If only:
I wish Luke were here.

As if/as though are often used in similar hypothetical situations:
Don't treat me as if I were a child.
He spoke as though he had been insulted.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments