Monday 27 April 2020

Conditionals, wishes and regrets (3) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 8


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 8
Conditionals, wishes and regrets (3)

C Match the correct wish or regret on the left with the situation on the right.

1
If only he would tell her!

a
It’s a pity he didn’t tell her.
2
I wish he had stayed.

b
We have no idea what to do.
3
If only we knew what to do!

c
We didn’t know what to do.
4
I wish he had told her.

d
I’d like him to tell her.
5
I wish we’d known what to do.

e
It’s a pity he didn’t stay.
6
It’s time he stopped smoking.

f
I’d like him to stay, if possible.
7
I’d rather he stayed.

g
I think he should stop smoking.
8
I’d rather he stayed.

h
He should have stopped smoking.

D Complete the sentences, using the correct tense of the verb in brackets.

1
No matter how many people (come) tonight, we’ll have a great time!
2
He looked at me as if I (just land) from the moon.
3
Supposing she (not agree), what would you do next?
4
However late you (be), there’ll be a warm welcome for you.
5
Wherever they (end up), I’m sure they’ll be happy.
6
It seemed as though nobody (spot) the obvious flaw in the plan.
7
We’ll go along with the deal, provided we (receive) our fair share of the profits.
8
I wish the firm (not go) bankrupt, but the shares would still have been worthless.
9
Supposing the police (not come), what would you have done?
10
I’d be on your side even if you (not be) my friend.
11
He stared at me. It was as if he (not hear) a word I’d said.
12
However difficult you (find) the test, just try to complete it.

E Make a new sentence for each situation, starting with I wish.

1
What a pity he’s so boring!
2
It was a mistake of mine, accepting that job.
3
How unfortunate that they all heard about it!
4
It’d be useful to have shares in the company, but I haven’t any.
5
I’d like him to contribute his opinions more tactfully.
6
I should have gone to the conference.
7
I simply can’t remember Myra’s address.
8
Is it ever going to stop snowing?


ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments