Wednesday 22 April 2020

TENSE FORMS (2) FCE USE OF ENGLISH


FCE USE OF ENGLISH
TENSE FORMS (2)


Some stative verbs (be, love, see, smell, taste, think etc.) have continuous forms but there is a difference in meaning.
State

Action
I see exactly what you mean. (= I understand)

She is seeing a lawyer tonight. (= She’s meeting)
Peter thinks he knows everything. (= He believes)

He is thinking of studying Law. (= He is considering)
A baby’s skin feels very smooth. (= It has a smooth texture)

He is feeling the engine to see how hot it is. (= He is touching)
They have a villa in Portugal. (= They own)

He is having problems. (= He is experiencing)
This soup tastes of garlic. (= It has the taste of garlic)

Why are you tasting the curry? (= Why are you testing the flavour?)
The room smells of fresh flowers. (= It has the smell of)

Why are you smelling that meat? (= Why are you checking its smell?)

Fill in with present simple or continuous.

1
A:
1 ____ am seeing ____ (see) an old friend tonight.
B:
I _____________ (see) – so you won’t be able to meet me after work, will you?
2
A:
Why _____________ (you/smell) the milk?
B:
It _____________ (smell) a bit strange. I think it might have gone off.
3
A:
_____________ (you/enjoy) reading Jane Austen’s novels?
B:
Not usually, but I _____________ (enjoy) this particular one.
4
A:
Why _____________ (John/be) so bad tempered today?
B:
I don’t know. He _____________ (be) usually so easy to get on with.
5
A:
Carol and I _____________ (think) of getting married.
B:
_____________ (you/think) that’s a good idea? You haven’t known each other for very long.
6
A:
_____________ (you/have) the phone number of a good business consultant?
B:
Why? _____________ (you/have) problems at work.
7
A:
_____________ (the singer/appear) tonight?
B:
Unfortunately not. She _____________ (appear) to have lost her voice.
8
A:
Why _____________ (you/taste) the baby’s drink?
B:
It _____________ (taste) a little bitter. I think I’ll add some more sugar.
9
A:
I hear the Fords _____________ (look) for a bigger house.
B:
Yes, it _____________ (look) as if they are going to move.
10
A:
How much _____________ (the parcel/weigh)?
B:
I’m not sure. The assistant _____________ (weigh) it at the moment.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments