Thursday 23 April 2020

Articles and uncountables (3) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 1


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 1
Articles and uncountables (3)

The indefinite article a/an cannot be used with uncountable nouns. Most nouns in English are either countable or uncountable, but the following may be used countably or uncountably:
cold, country, taste, wine, coffee, tea, cake, cheese, work, hair, life, death

EXERCISES

C Decide whether the nouns in italics are being used countably (C) or uncountably (U).

1
I’ll have a coffee while I sort my papers out.
2
It’s a matter of life and death.
3
They’ve always dreamed of living in the country.
4
Celebrities and critics flooded into the West End to see Harold Pinter’s latest work.
5
I like a bit of cheese after my main course.
6
The reason he’s so bogged down at work is that he’s had a heavy cold for the last fortnight.
7
His death came as a terrible shock to his colleagues.
8
She’s furnished the flat with such taste, hasn’t she!

Note especially these uncountable nouns:
furniture, luggage, news, information, progress, knowledge, research, advice

Many and (a) few are used with countables, much and (a) little with uncountables.

EXERCISES

D Match the two halves of the sentences correctly.

1
Scientists have made little

a
spanner, if I promise to return it tomorrow.
2
It is doubtful whether we have enough

b
applicants for that job, are there?
3
I don’t suppose there are many

c
news about my sister?
4
I can guarantee he’ll give you some

d
progress in their research into the common cold.
5
The examiner asked both

e
natural gas for the next fifty years.
6
I had to check every

f
the candidates to sit down.
7
I was hoping you could let me have a

g
excellent advice.
8
She’s so well-groomed - she never has a

h
hair out of place.
9
He hasn’t got much

i
single connection, before I found the fault.
10
Could you let me know if there’s any

j
luggage, has he?

ANSWER KEY
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments