Monday 27 April 2020

Gerund and Infinitive (3) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 7


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 7
Gerund and Infinitive (3)

The following verbs can be used with either the gerund or the infinitive, depending on the meaning required:

a
remember, forget, stop, go on, regret
b
interested in, interested to
c
try
d
need
e
used, be/get used to
f
like, enjoy, love, hate, prefer
g
allow, advise, forbid, permit
h
mean

The differences in meaning are explained in Section 5 of the Appendix, but try to work them out for yourself before doing the next exercise.

C Complete the sentences with the gerund or the infinitive of the verbs in brackets.

1
Humility means (be) able to admit you’re sometimes wrong.
2
You will not be permitted (enter) the building without the Chief Fire Officer’s permission.
3
I’d be interested (know) if the chair in astrophysics is still vacant.
4
I’ll never forget (see) the factory chimney collapse in a cloud of smoke and rubble.
5
Bankers advised the owners of the ailing theme park (reduce) entry charges in a bid to attract more visitors.
6
All the report’s recommendations need (review) in the light of the committee’s statements to the press.
7
The politician was accused of trying (stir up) trouble in his constituency as a ploy to divert attention from his own affairs.
8
I don’t think my uncle will ever get used to (be) at home all day instead of (go) out to work.

D Match the first half of each sentence with the correct ending.

1
He objected

a
to write a polite letter.
2
We’d rather not

b
write a polite letter.
3
She’s looking forward

c
to writing a polite letter.
4
I insist on

d
writing a polite letter.
5
Kindly allow me



6
I think you need



7
Everyone should be able



8
You’d better



9
I’m afraid it means



10
I always enjoy



11
He was made



12
She always used



13
His father wants him




ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments