Sunday 26 April 2020

The future (2) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 4


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 4
The future (2)

The present simple is used to talk about timetables, programmes of events and people's schedules:
What time does your train leave?
The President arrives at 9.30.

The present continuous is used to talk about planned future arrangements:
Tomorrow I'm flying to Hong Kong.
A future time-phrase should be used or understood, to prevent confusion with the present uses of this tense.

Going to is used to talk about
a firm intentions:
I'm going to be an actor when I grow up.
b predictions based on something in the present:
Look! He's going to fall!

The future continuous refers to a continuous action which will be happening at a future point in time:
I'll be playing football on Saturday afternoon.

The future perfect is used to talk about an action which will have happened by a certain point in the future. By is often a key word:
 He'll have finished his exams by Friday week.

The future perfect continuous is used similarly to the future perfect, but stresses that the action is continuous, or not completed:
By the end of May we'll have been living here for three years.

Remember that many verbs do not have a continuous form; refer to the list in Section 1 of the Appendix for guidance.

C Correct the sentences if necessary. Tick any which are already correct.

1
What time does your badminton class start?
2
‘What will you do tonight?’ ‘Oh, we will have a barbecue.’
3
By this time next week I’m filling in my tax forms.
4
I promise I’m supporting you whenever you will need me.
5
You won’t see him this summer. He’ll do his military service then.
6
I’m being an architect when I’m finishing my studies.
7
Don’t get up. I’ll make the coffee.
8
Do you come to dinner with me tonight?
9
I think he shall probably marry the girl next door.
10
What do you do at 3 o’clock next Sunday afternoon?

D Complete the sentences with the most suitable verb form.

1
If you (not object) we (ask) the committee to approve the proposal.
2
By the time Juan (finish) his maths project next week, he (be) exhausted!
3
What our world (be like) in the year 2050?
4
Anne (not be) happy until she (see) the doctor this afternoon.
5
This time next year I probably (live) on the other side of the world.
6
I (not watch) the horror film that’s on tonight. I know it (give) me nightmares.
7
By the end of this week we (raise) over £800 for the children’s charity.
8
I swear I (do) my best from now on. Things (be) different, you (see).

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments