Friday 24 April 2020

Modal verbs (2) RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH UNIT 3


RECYCLING ADVANCED ENGLISH
UNIT 3
Modal verbs (2)

EXERCISES

B Correct the sentences if necessary. Tick any which are already correct.

1
Did you must renew your visa last February?
2
Your accountant ought to have give you better advice.
3
The President can’t to be re-elected for a fourth term.
4
You could come on the expedition if you wanted to.
5
I might had returned the book. I just can’t remember.
6
Will you can help me with my luggage if I tell you exactly when I’m leaving?
7
They didn’t could have a picnic because of the inclement weather.
8
The police must have preferred charges against him by now.

Must/mustn't are used
to express commands or the authority of the speaker:
You must do what I say in future.
to express an internal obligation, from the speaker's viewpoint:
I mustn't forget to phone Jake this evening.

Have got to can be used in all tenses instead of must to express external obligation, especially rules or laws made by someone else:
We've got to check in at least an hour before take-off.

The modal form needn't is usually used to express the speaker's own opinion or viewpoint:
You needn't phone me unless there’s any problem.

Don't need to is less personal and is usually used to express lack of external obligation:
If you're a UK citizen, you don't need to have a work permit.

Didn't need to do and didn't have to do mean that something was not done, because it was not necessary.
Needn't have done means that something was done, although it was not necessary.

C Complete the sentences, using the correct word or phrase from the pair in  brackets.

1
You________ take flowers to your hostess if you don’t want to.
(mustn’t / needn’t)
2
She________ do all the work herself, because nobody will help her.
(must / has to)
3
I’m so tired, I really________ go to bed now. (must / have to)
4
What a pity you________ go now! You’ll just catch your train if you
hurry, (must / have to)
5
Yesterday all the students ________ read a poem aloud.
(must / had to)
6
I was going to book the tickets, but Angus bought them on his way home, so I _________ . (didn’t need to / needn’t have done)
7
When I turned up at the hospital and saw Natalia surrounded by visitors, I realised I ________ coming.
(didn’t need to bother / needn’t have bothered)
8
You________________ smoke in here. It’s against the rules.
(mustn’t / needn’t)

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments