Monday 7 December 2020

DAILY ROUTINES ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 16 DAILY ROUTINES

 

A

Sleep

“During the week I usually wake up1 about 7.30 am. If I don’t, my mum wakes me up. I get up2 a few minutes later. In the evenings I go to bed about 10.30 pm, and usually go to sleep3 straight away4. If I have a late night5 I try to have a sleep6 in the afternoon when I get home from college.”


B

Food

“I have coffee and cereal for breakfast, then have a light lunch1, maybe a sandwich and an apple, and a snack2 in the afternoon. We have our main meal in the evening. If Mum’s late home from work, she doesn’t bother3 to cook; we just get a takeaway4 instead. One of us has to feed5 the cat as well.”


C

Bathroom routines

“I usually have a shower when I get home from college because my sister, Rosie, and my brother, Marcus, spend so much time in the bathroom in the morning. I only have time to have a wash and clean my teeth (syn brush my teeth), before Rosie comes in to put on a bit of make-up. In the winter I sometimes have a bath instead of1 a shower. I like to lie in the bath and listen to music.

1 in place of (a shower)


D

Fortunately1 we’ve got a cleaner2 who does a lot of the housework, and that includes doing my washing3. But I still have to make my bed and do some of my ironing, and I sometimes do the shopping with Mum.”



 

Language help

 

When we do the shopping, we buy food at the supermarket; when we go shopping, it is a leisure activity and we perhaps buy clothes, DVDs, books, etc.

E

Spare time*

“On weekdays I usually stay in1 and watch TV in the evening. At the weekend I go out quite a lot with my friends, either to the cinema or just to a café, and I eat out2 once a week. Sometimes friends come round3 and we chat4 about clothes, music and college.”


EXERCISES

16.1

Find seven more expressions with have + [noun] and do + [noun] from the opposite page.

have ____ a shower___

have ______________

have ______________

have ______________

do ______________

do ______________

do ______________

do ______________

16.2

Match the words on the left with the words on the right.


16.3

One word is missing in each sentence. What is it and where does it go?

1 Does it cost much to have a cleaner to the housework? do

2 My mother usually me up around 7:30, then I get up about 7:45.

3 If I have a in the afternoon, I usually eat fruit instead of chocolate.

4 I always go on Friday and Saturday, often to the cinema or a club.

5 Sometimes friends round to the flat and we play computer games.

6 I eat at the weekend, usually in a local Italian or French restaurant.

7 I don’t with a full meal at lunchtime; I usually just have a light lunch, like a salad.

8 I often have for breakfast – usually cornflakes or something like that.

9 I don’t like doing housework; I have a husband who does most of it.

10 When I get emails, I try to reply to them straight.

16.4

Complete the dialogue with a word or phrasal verb from the opposite page in each gap.

A: Don’t 1______ bother _______ to cook dinner tonight.

B: Why not?

A: We could go out 2____________ of eating here.

B: Yeah. Where?

A: Well, I’d like to try that new Korean restaurant.

B: That’s miles away. No, I think I’d rather 3____________  and have an 4____________  night.

A: But it’s Friday.

B: Yes, I know, but I’m tired. Why don’t we ask Ryan and Charlotte to 5____________ ? You don’t have to cook, we can order a 6____________  . And we can have a nice 7____________  round the dining table; much better than a noisy restaurant.

16.5


ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments