Sunday 6 December 2020

DESCRIBING CHARACTER ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 11 DESCRIBING CHARACTER

 

A

What are you like?


1 what you are like as a person

2 believe that good things will happen

3 can be trusted to do what people expect you to do

4 feeling sure about yourself and your abilities

5 not confident, especially about meeting or talking to new people

6 putting a lot of effort into your work and spending a lot of time on it

7 the ability to laugh and understand when something is funny

8 a serious person is quiet and doesn’t laugh very much

9 able to stay calm and not get angry, especially when things take a lot of time

Common mistakes

 

A: What’s he like? (NOT How is he like?)

B: He’s very nice. (NOT He’s like very nice.)

B

Opposites


Language help

 

We use kind to describe someone who wants to help people a lot, and nice, friendly or pleasant for someone who is happy to talk to people. The opposites are unkind, unfriendly and unpleasant.

C

Describing a friend

“The first thing I would say about my best friend is that she’s very sensible1. I’ve never known Emilia to do anything silly2, and I know I can always trust3 her. She’s also very creative4; she makes things, and she’s a very talented5 artist. I wish6 I had her talent.”

 

1 practical; doesn’t do stupid things

2 not sensible, a bit stupid

3 be sure that she is honest

4 good at thinking of new ideas and using her imagination

5 has a natural ability

6 I would like to have her talent but I haven’t got it

EXERCISES

11.1

Find five pairs of opposites and put them into the correct columns.

nice

mean

sensible

lazy

calm

generous

unpleasant

hard-working

silly

nervous

positive

negative

nice

 

 

 

 

 

 

11.2

Write the opposites using the correct prefix.


11.3

Describe the person in the sentences, in one word.

1 My brother is in the office from 8 am to 6 pm every day. ______ hard-working________

2 He has never bought me a drink in ten years. ____________________

3 She often promises to do things but sometimes she forgets. ____________________

4 My teacher explains things again and never gets angry. ____________________

5 Emma finds it difficult to meet people and talk to strangers. ____________________

6 Noah is practical and doesn’t do anything stupid. ____________________

7 Our teacher is nice, but he’s quiet and he doesn’t laugh a lot. ____________________

8 Danya is very relaxed and doesn’t seem to worry about things. ____________________

9 My boss is really good at using his imagination to think of new ideas. ____________________

10 Ava can play several musical instruments. ____________________

11.4

Complete the sentences.

1 My sister can’t wait for anything; she’s so _____ impatient _______

2 I get very ___________ before exams; I need to try and relax a bit more.

3 I ___________ I could paint as well as your brother; he’s so creative.

4 Adeline hasn’t done a thing since she’s been here. Honestly, she’s so ___________.

5 I always have a laugh with my cousin – he’s got a great sense of ___________.

6 My younger sister is able to understand new ideas so quickly; she’s very ___________.

7 If Sarah says she’ll do it, then she’ll do it. I ___________ her completely.

8 He’d like to be relaxed and confident, but it’s just not part of his ___________.

9 He failed his exams, but he isn’t ___________.  He just didn’t do any work.

10 Aurora helped me bake some cakes last week; she’s very ___________.

11.5


ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments