Sunday 6 December 2020

GROWING UP ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 14 GROWING UP

 

A

Ages and stages in the UK


Age

Stage

0

birth [the moment a baby is born]

Up to 12 months

a baby

12 months – 3 years old

a toddler

3–12 years old

a child: this period is your childhood

13–18 approximately

a teenager: during this period you are in your teens

18+

an adult

40+ approximately

people are middle-aged [in the middle of their lives]

60 or 65

retirement [when people stop work; they are retired]

80+

old age (we usually describe people as elderly)

B

Approximate ages

I’m in my early twenties [21–23].

My parents are in their mid-fifties [54–56].

My grandmother is in her late seventies [77–79].

My grandfather is nearly/almost eighty [he’s probably 79].

My English teacher’s approximately/roughly thirty. [about 30 / more or less 30]

Common mistakes

 

We can say, he’s 30 or he’s 30 years old. (NOT he has 30 or he’s 30 years) Also: a 30-year-old man (NOT a 30-years-old man)

C

Past and present


My grandmother’s name was Mary. She’s dead1 now. She died about ten years ago when I was in my teens, but I remember her well. She was brought up2 on a farm in Wales, and her parents were very strict: as a teenager, they didn’t allow3 her to listen to the radio or go to parties in the village. In the end4, she decided to leave home and get a job in Cardiff. At first5 it wasn’t easy, but she managed6 to find work, and she also met the man who became her husband: my grandfather. My mother was born four years later. She had a very different childhood. She grew up in the city, she was allowed to go to parties, and when she was in her teens, her parents let7 her stay out late8. My mum is the same with me

 


Language help

 

Let and allow have the same meaning. Let is slightly more informal, and allow is often used in the passive.

My dad let me drive his car. I was allowed to drive my dad’s car.

You’re not allowed to smoke in that room. (NOT It’s not allowed to smoke in that room.)

 

EXERCISES

14.1

Complete the sentences.

1 Isabella is only six months old – she’s still _______ a baby __________.

2 Louis was 22 a few months ago, so he’s in his _________________.

3 Amelia is 35, so she’s in her _________________.

4 Abigail will be 13 this year, so she’ll soon be a _________________.

5 William is 53 and his wife is 47, so they’re both _________________.

6 Joan is 80 this year, so she is quite _________________.

7 Michael was a bus driver for 40 years but he’s now _________________.

8 Leon is 18 this year, so legally he becomes _________________.

9 The boys are 14 and 16, so they’re both in their _________________.

10 Holly is just over a year old and she’s starting to walk, so she’s a _________________now.

14.2

Are the sentences true or false about Mary’s life on the opposite page? If a sentence is false, change it to make it true.

1 Mary was brought up in the city. __________ False. Mary was brought up on a farm. _______________

2 She grew up in Wales. _______________________________________________________

3 Her parents let her do what she wanted. _______________________________________________________

4 She wasn’t allowed to listen to the radio. _______________________________________________________

5 Life was easy when she went to Cardiff. _______________________________________________________

6 She couldn’t get a job in Cardiff. _______________________________________________________

14.3

Rewrite the sentences without using the underlined words and phrases. Keep a similar meaning.

1 My parents are dead now.

2 It was hard but finally I did it.

3 She’s approximately my age.

4 They’re almost thirty now.

5 I had to do what my parents wanted.

6 My parents let me stay up and watch TV.

7 My mum looked after me in Scotland.

8 I was able to pass my exams but it wasn’t easy.

9 I didn’t go home until late.

10 I was allowed to wear what I liked.

11 I was happy as a child.

12 My grandparents don’t work any more.

My parents ___ aren’t alive now ______.

It was hard but ____________________.

She’s ____________________.

They’re ____________________.

My parents were ____________________.

I was ____________________.

I was ____________________.

1 ____________________

1 ____________________

My parents ____________________.

I had a happy ____________________.

My grandparents are ____________________.

14.4


ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments