Monday 7 December 2020

MONEY ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

 

ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE PRE INTERMEDIATE

UNIT 19 MONEY

 

A

Notes and coins


In the UK the currency [type of money used] is sterling [pounds]; in America it is the dollar; in much of Europe it’s the euro.

Notes

e.g. ten pounds, twenty euros,

a ten-pound note, a twenty-euro note

Coins (in the UK)

e.g. fifty pence (usually spoken as fifty p),

a pound, a fifty-pence piece, but a one-pound coin

B

Managing your money

“I’ve had a bank account for a few years now, and I make sure my account is always in credit1. I go to the cashpoint once a week, so I always have some cash2 with me, and I check3 my account online once a week to see how much money I’ve got.”


C

Money problems

“When I went to university, I had to get a student loan1 to pay my fees2. That meant I had to be careful and make sure I didn’t waste money3, but by the time I finished my degree I owed4 a lot. One good thing is that I don’t have to pay it back until I get a job and I’m earning5 a reasonable amount6 of money. At the moment I’m saving up7 for a new laptop; the one I have is very slow and keeps going wrong. I’d love to have a car as well, but I can’t afford8 it.”


D

Accommodation

“This year I’m renting a flat with three friends of mine. We had to pay one month’s rent as a deposit1, but it’s a nice place, quite good value for money2, and the landlord isn’t charging3 us to use his garage.”


Language help

 

We use rent when we pay to use something for a long period of time, e.g. rent a flat. The noun rent is the amount you pay, e.g. The rent is £400 per month. We use hire when we pay to use something for a short period of time, e.g. I hired a bike for the day. Both verbs are used with cars, e.g. We rented/hired a car when we were on holiday.

EXERCISES

19.1

Answer the questions as quickly as possible.

1 Is sterling a currency? ______Yes__________

2 Is a five-pound note worth less than a fifty-pence piece? __________________

3 If you rent something, do you own it? __________________

4 If you waste money, do you use it well? __________________

5 Can you get money from a cashpoint? ________________

6 If you are in credit, do you have money in your account? __________________

7 Do you pay back a bank loan? __________________

8 Is the currency in the United States of America called the euro? __________________

9 Do you normally get back a deposit? __________________

10 If you ‘can afford’ something, do you have enough money for it? __________________

19.2

Which words are being defined?

1 A flat, usually round piece of metal used as money. ______ coin_______________

2 Money you borrow from a bank. _____________________

3 Money you pay to someone for a professional service, e.g. a school. _____________________

4 Money in the form of notes or coins. _____________________

5 Money you pay to live in a building that you don’t own. _____________________

6 A machine where you can get money. _____________________

7 The type of money used in a country. _____________________

19.3

Rewrite the sentences without using the underlined words and phrases. Keep the same meaning.

1 He’s getting £300 a week in his job.

2 She used the money badly.

3 I don’t have enough money to go.

4 We could rent a car.

5 He asked us to pay £25.

6 I’ve got to pay back a lot of money.

7 I always look at my account carefully.

He’s ____ earning £300 a week in his job. __________

She _________________________________

I _________________________________

We could _________________________________

He _________________________________

I _________________________________

I always _________________________________

19.4

“I’m nearly 20 now, and I’ve been 1____ saving up ______for a car for the last two years. I’ve been putting money into my bank 2_____________, and I try to put in exactly the same 3_____________ every month: £75 from money that I 4_____________ doing a job two evenings a week, and £50 that my parents are lending me each month. That means I now 5_____________ them £1200, but they said I don’t have to 6_____________ them until I’ve got a full-time job. At the moment I’m still living at home, so I don’t have to pay for my 7_____________, although I will start paying my parents a bit of rent when I finish college and get a job.”

19.5


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments