Tuesday 5 October 2021

UNIT 34 Prepositions Used with Adjectives TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 34

Prepositions Used with Adjectives

 

EXERCISE A

Choose the correct preposition goes with the adjective before it, and write its number in the brackets.


 

1

Sandra is very good __________ music. She plays the piano beautifully.

(1)

in

(2)

on

(3)

at

(4)

for

2

I'm very interested __________ science.

(1)

in

(2)

on

(3)

at

(4)

for

3

Tom's parents were very proud __________ him for winning the prize for best speaker in the debate.

(1)

of

(2)

at

(3)

for

(4)

by

4

My aunt is married __________ an Australian man.

(1)

to

(2)

with

(3)

by

(4)

for

5

Are you scared __________ snakes?

(1)

for

(2)

with

(3)

at

(4)

of

6

I'm very sorry __________ being late, Mrs Ross.

(1)

with

(2)

for

(3)

at

(4)

by

7

Paul was tired __________ working on the computer an went to bed.

(1)

of

(2)

for

(3)

at

(4)

for

8

The box was full __________ chocolates.

(1)

for

(2)

by

(3)

of

(4)

in

9

I'm fond __________ animals. I want to be a vet when I grow up.

(1)

for

(2)

of

(3)

by

(4)

at

10

My mother was very pleased __________ the flowers I gave her.

(1)

with

(2)

for

(3)

at

(4)

of

11

Mary was surprised __________ her good marks. She thought the Science test was very difficult.

(1)

for

(2)

of

(3)

by

(4)

with

12

China is famous __________ the Great Wall.

(1)

by

(2)

of

(3)

for

(4)

at

 

EXERCISE B

Fill in the gaps with the correct preposition from the box. You may use some prepositions more than once.

at

on

to

in

of

for

 

Steven's life

I go to East Park School and I like school. I'm good (1) ___ English and art, but I'm quite bad (2) ___ Maths. I'm lucky, my big brother is brilliant (3) ___ Maths and he is nice (4) ___ me, often helping me with my homework. In my spare time I play games on my computer. I'm very interested (5) ___ computer games. In fact, I once sent an idea for a game to a company that makes them. They wrote me a letter and told me it was a very good idea! I was very proud (6) ___ that! When I get tired (7) ___ playing games, I surf the Internet. It's full (8) ___ wonderful things and information! You can get information about everything! Also, I'm keen (9) ___ sport. I play a lot of football and some tennis. I'm a bit scared (10) ___ water so I'm not a very good swimmer. Now I'll tell you about my family. My dad is a businessman and he travels a lot. My mum is a doctor but she only works two days a week. I've got two brothers and a sister. My eldest brother is married (11) ___ Susie, who is a nurse. They have a new baby- their first. I'm very happy (12) ___ them. I'm pleased that I have a nice family and a nice school.

 

EXERCISE C

Fill in the gaps with the correct preposition from the box. You may use some prepositions more than once.

at

in

of

by

with

for

about

 

 

The concert

Ann was getting ready for her first concert. She was very nervous (1) ___ playing in public for the first time. "What are you worried (2) ___, Ann?" asked her mother. "You know you are good (3) ___ playing the piano."

"I'm scared (4) ___ playing in front of lots of people," replied Ann.

"Don't worry! You'll be fine. And who knows, one day you might be famous (5) ___ your piano playing!" Ann went to the side of the stage. She was interested (6) ___ watching what was happening. The boy before her was just finishing. It was her turn! She walked out on stage. The theatre was full (7) ___ people! They started to clap her. She was a bit surprised (8) the clapping.

"What nice people!" Ann thought. She sat down at the piano and looked at the piano keys. Suddenly she stopped worrying and started playing. Soon it was all over! Everybody was clapping even more loudly. She bowed politely and left the stage. Her mother was waiting for her. "I'm so proud (9) ___ you," she said. "You did very well. I'm so pleased (10) you."

"Thank you, Mother," said Ann. "It wasn't as bad as I thought. When is my next concert?"

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments