Wednesday 13 October 2021

UNIT 6 SECTION 1 (B) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 6 SECTION 1 (B)

 

Adverbial Expressions

Complete the sentences with the adverbial expressions in the box below. Use each expression only once.

by and large

last but not least

every now and then

one by one

on my own

as a matter of fact

 

1

I make an effort to visit my grandparents _____________________.

2

_____________________, the lottery numbers I had chosen came up on the screen.

3

I used a Do-It-Yourself manual and built the tree house _____________________.

4

_____________________, the final contender is from Venezuela..

5

Most people are, _____________________, creatures of habit.

6

_____________________, I didn't like the present you gave me.

Phrasal Verbs

Read the sentences on the left and match the phrasal verbs with their definitions on the right by writing the correct number in the box next to each definition.

A MAKE, DO, GROW

1

The thieves made off with all the precious artefacts in the museum.

 

go towards

2

The boy made up a ridiculous story about alien abduction to avoid sitting for the exam.

 

invent

3

Let's make for the nearest village before it gets dark.

 

become an adult

4

When the baby was born, we made the study into a nursery.

 

transform, convert

5

I couldn't quite make out what she was saying, as her English was very poor.

 

manage to understand

6

Even though Derek had made up with Joanne, the tension between them was still evident.

 

steal and run away

7

Women make up a large proportion of the workforce nowadays.

 

become friends again

8

Ever since my salary cut, I've had to do without many little luxuries.

 

get rid of

9

The management decided to do away with the old machinery and modernised the factory.

 

become older and stop a habit

10

When I grow up, I want to become a singer.

 

endure the lack of

11

We've grown out of the childish pranks we used to play on our teachers.

 

constitute form, be a member of

B PASS, FILL, LEAVE

1

Our neighbour, who was 75 years old, passed away a few months ago.

 

faint

2

The legends of this tribe have been passed down from father to son over the centuries.

 

complete

3

The old woman passed out when she saw the thief

 

die

4

I had to fill in a five-page application form for a credit card.

 

make completely full

5

Could you please fill up the tank with unleaded petrol?

 

pass from one generation to the next

6

Our best player was left out of the team due to a knee injury.

 

exclude from

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS EXERCISE 

ANSWER KEY

Adverbial expressions

1

every now and then

2

one by one

3

on my own

4

Last but not least

5

by and large

6

As a matter of fact

Phrasal Verbs

A


B


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments