Thursday 14 October 2021

UNIT 6 SECTION 1 (D) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 6 SECTION 1 (D)

 

Words easily confused

Use the correct form of the words in the boxes to complete the sentences in each group A-I below. You may use some of the words more than once. In some cases more than one word may be correct.

A

borrow

lend

let

hire

rent

 

1

My friends and I ________________________ a car to travel around the island.

2

Can you________________________ me some money? I'll pay you back on Friday.

3

Some of the rooms in the country house were________________________ to tourists for the weekends.

4

I ________________________ money from the bank to buy a house.

5

My parents________________________ a tutor to help me with Maths.

6

The first thing I did when I went to Crete was________________________ a house by the sea.

B

spend

waste

save

afford

 

1

I have been_______________________ a lot of money lately on things I don't really need. I usually_______________________ all my income and don't_______________________ any money for a rainy day.

2

John_______________________ too much time on the computer and doesn't pay enough attention to his homework. Of course, he can't_______________________ to be________________________ time, especially now that he's got exams.

C

bill

fare

fee

fine

ticket

receipt

account

discount

tax

 

 

1

The________________________ department expects all customers to get a _________________________ with every purchase they make, otherwise they will have to pay a(n)________________________ .

2

I had to complain to the telephone company about my extremely high phone________________________, which I was not prepared to pay. In the end they gave me a(n)________________________ and [paid less.

3

When he had his wallet stolen, he didn't have any money to pay for his bus________________________ .

4

I bought an airline________________________ for Madrid with British Airways.

5

________________________ is automatically withdrawn from my pay every month.

6

Most universities require that tuition________________________ should be paid at the beginning of each academic year.

7

Sheila got a parking________________________ for parking on the pavement.

8

My parents have a(n)________________________ with the local shop and pay the amount they owe every month.

D

salary

wage

payment

income

bonus

allowance

award

reward

donation

 

 

1

My______________________ gets paid into my bank account every fortnight.

2

Steve’s parents give him a weekly______________________ .which he can use any way he likes.

3

Some people give______________________ to charity organisations.

4

Young workers under the age of 21 get the minimum______________________ set by the law.

5

My______________________ from my job isn't sufficient to cover my weekly expenses. Only when I get a(n)______________________ as a(n)_______________________ for excellent results can I afford something special for myself.

6

Your car______________________ are due on the 10th of each month.

7

I received a Young Achiever’s______________________ for getting the best exam score in the school.

D

owe

own

posses

keep

belong

 

1

Who does this pen______________________ to? If no one_______________________ it, then I'll_______________________ it.

2

Muhammad Ali_______________________ a lot of strength and speed in the ring.

3

They_______________________ their house, but still________________________ some money to the bank.

4

He's_______________________ all his toys in a box in the attic.

F

price

charge

value

prize

bargain

worth

tip

 

 

1

The National Lottery’s main________________________ was £ 2 million.

2

When eating out, it is advisable to leave a ________________________ for the waiter.

3

The thieves stole millions of dollars________________________ of paintings from the gallery.

4

The________________________ of our house has gone up since we renovated it.

5

That restaurant has very reasonable________________________ . It's certainly_________________________ for money and _________ visiting.

6

My new sofa was a real________________________ . I got it for half the price.

7

You can have the appliances delivered free of______________________.

G

precious

valuable

priceless

worthless

economic

economical

financial

 

 

1

Some of Picasso's paintings are________________________. Only a billionaire could afford to buy them.

2

The police have been guarding the________________________ stones on display at the gallery.

3

When Rose lost her job, she was in a difficult________________________ situation for a while. It didn't help that she hadn't been________________________ and not saved a penny while she was employed.

4

The country’s________________________ situation has improved ever since the development of the tourist industry.

5

Thank you for your________________________ advice. You've helped me a great deal.

6

Julie gave away some of her fake jewellery because she thought it was________________________ and just took up space.

H

loan

debt

sum

amount

deposit

instalment

budget

 

 

1

We're on a tight_______________________ this month because we have many expenses. Our housing and car________________________ are due in the next few days.

2

He had parked illegally and was fined the________________________ of £ 20.

3

Could you please tell me the exact________________________ I owe?

4

Joan went to the bank because she wanted to make a(n)________________________ .

5

He has asked me to lend him money, as he is in ________________________.

I

cheque

cash

coins

currency

(bank)notes

change

 

1

When we arrived in Indonesia, we exchanged some of our money for local________________________ .

2

I must take all the ________________________ I've received as________________________ to the bank and exchange them for________________________ which are lighter.

3

When paying by________________________, always write your address and sign the back of it.

4

I'm paying for the shoes in________________________ .

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS EXERCISE 

ANSWER KEY

A

1

hired

2

lend

3

let

4

borrowed

5

hired

6

rent

B

1

wasting

spend

save

2

spends

afford

wasting

C

1

tax

receipt

fine

2

bill

discount

3

fare

4

ticket

5

Tax

6

fees

7

ticket

8

account

D

1

salary

2

allowance

3

donations

4

wage

5

income

bonus

reward

6

payments

7

Awards

E

1

belong

owns

keep

2

possessed

3

own

owe

4

kept

F

1

prize

2

tip

3

worth

4

value

5

prices

value

worth

6

bargain

7

charge

G

1

priceless

2

precious

3

financial

economical

4

economic

5

valuable

6

worthless

H

1

budget

loan

instalments

2

sum

3

amount

4

deposit

5

debt

I

1

currency

2

coins

change

(bank)notes

3

cheque

4

cash

1 comment:

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments