Friday 29 October 2021

UNIT 38 Conjunctions TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 38

Conjunctions

 

EXERCISE A

Choose the correct conjunction and write its number in the brackets.


 

1

You can wear your blue dress ____________ your green one today.

(1)

nor

(2)

either

(3)

or

(4)

neither

2

We can ____________ go to the cinema or the zoo.

(1)

nor

(2)

either

(3)

or

(4)

neither

3

____________ Andy nor Sam can speak Spanish.

(1)

Neither

(2)

Nor

(3)

Either

(4)

Or

4

I can't remember the name of the capital of Laos! can ____________ I!

(1)

Than

(2)

If

(3)

Or

(4)

Neither

5

I will help you with your homework ____________ you like.

(1)

than

(2)

if

(3)

or

(4)

nor

6

Mary stayed up late ____________ she was tired.

(1)

if

(2)

or

(3)

although

(4)

than

7

Shanghai is a bigger city ____________ Beijing.

(1)

if

(2)

or

(3)

although

(4)

than

8

____________ we work hard today, we'll go fishing together tomorrow.

(1)

If

(2)

Or

(3)

Although

(4)

Nor

9

____________ Ann ____________ Mary was at school today. They were both sick.

(1)

Either /or

(2)

Neither /nor

(3)

Either /either

(4)

Nor /neither

10

You can work on the computers ____________ in the library ____________ in the classroom.

(1)

either /or

(2)

neither /or

(3)

either /nor

(4)

or /either

11

I'm in the school basketball team ____________ I'm not very tall.

(1)

if

(2)

or

(3)

although

(4)

than

12

A cheetah can run faster ____________ a leopard.

(1)

if

(2)

or

(3)

although

(4)

than

 

 

EXERCISE B

Fill in the gaps with the correct conjunction from the box. You may use some of the conjunctions more than once.

although

either

But

than

if

or

 

Communication

Communication is very important in everyday life, and the best way to communicate is to speak! We all grow up speaking at least one language - our mother tongue. (1) ____ you live in a multi-cultural community, you will probably speak two (2) ____ more languages. Even (3) ____ you only speak one language, you will probably learn another one at school. In European schools this second language is (4) ____ French (5) ____ English. Sometimes it is Spanish (6) ___ _ German. (7) _____ , in the rest of the world, the second language is usually English. Did you know more people speak the Chinese language (8) ____ speak English! (9) ____ more people actually speak Chinese, English is used for international communication especially on the Internet. So it is very important to learn English. (10) ____ you start learning when you are young, it will be much easier to learn. Many young children all over the world are learning English (11) ____ at school (12) ____ in special language schools. So, learn English, enjoy it and become an international communicator!

 

EXERCISE C

Fill in the gaps with the words in brackets in the correct order.

although

either

neither

than

nor

or

if

 

 

When I grow up

What do you want to do when you grow up? Last year I saw a wonderful film about whales so I decided I wanted to be (1) _____ a deep-sea diver (2) ____ the captain of a ship. But since I can (3) ____ swim (4) ____ sail a boat, I had to change my mind! I thought about being a doctor (5) ___ a vet. (6) _ ___ I became a doctor, I could help people, but (7) _ ___ I were a vet, I could help wild animals. I would like that!

Last week, I saw another great programme. lt was all about exploring space. So I decided I wanted to be (8) ____ an astronaut (9) ____ a pilot. If I became an astronaut, I could go to the Moon. But (10) ____ I were a pilot, I could visit lots of different countries. And I think it is more difficult to become an astronaut (11) ____ to become a pilot. (12) ____ I am very young, I still keep thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. What about you?

 CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS UNIT

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments