Monday 20 April 2020

15. Meetings and presentations CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR BUSINESS AND ADMINISTRATION


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR BUSINESS AND ADMINISTRATION
15. Meetings and presentations

Look at this rather long-winded opening address from a company's Annual General Meeting (AGM) and fill in the gaps with words from the box. The first letter of each word is already in the text.


I'd like to 1. o ____________ this meeting by 2. w ____________you all. It's good to see so many 3. p ____________here today - in fact, this is probably the best 4. a ____________we've had at a meeting for a long time - and I'd like to thank you all in advance for 5. s ____________me.

Well, we've got a lot on the 6. a ____________ and I want to make as much 7. p ____________ as possible in the next two hours or so. If we stick to the main 8. s ____________, we should 9. G ____________ everything and 10. a ____________ all of our 11. g ____________ and 12. o ____________. I will 13. c ____________ the meeting, as usual, but I really hope that you will all have something to 14. c____________ , and if anything needs 15. c ____________, please don't hesitate to 16. i ____________ me (although not too often, I hope: the more 17. i ____________ we can 18. a ____________ today the better).

I'll be 19. b____________  several important 20. m ____________ during the meeting, beginning with those that I feel should take 21. p ____________, before 22. s ____________ the main 23. p ____________ and making 24. r ____________. This will be followed by an 25. o ____________ session where you can give me your 26. o ____________. And I'm sure you will all be delighted to hear that after the meeting 27. c ____________, there will be drinks and snacks for everyone.

Mr Barker will be taking 28. n ____________ and keeping the 29. m ____________ of the meeting, and I will be using these to write my 30. R ____________ afterwards, so if anyone has any 31. c ____________, I suggest you talk to him and not to me!

Now, before I get going, are there any 32. q ____________ from the 33. f____________ ? No? Good. Right, well I'll begin.

The first point I want to 34. d ____________ is next month's 35. c ____________. As you know, the 36. v ____________ we have chosen is the Royal Eynsham Hotel in Oxfordshire. We've invited several 37. s ____________ to make 38. p ____________ on various aspects of the trade, and we're expecting over 200 39. d ____________ from our offices around Europe. Now, of course, there's always the possibility that some major players* won't be able to make it, so we need to make a 40. c ____________ plan that we can 41. i ____________ if things go pear-shaped**...

(*major players: important people. **Pear shaped: if something goes pear-shaped, it goes wrong. This is an informal expression)

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments