Monday 20 April 2020

23. Recruitment 3: Contract employment and job description CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR BUSINESS AND ADMINISTRATION


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR BUSINESS AND ADMINISTRATION
23. Recruitment 3: Contract employment and job description

Exercise 1:

In this contract of employment, there are a lot of vocabulary mistakes. Either a word is spelt incorrectly, the form of the word is wrong, or a wrong word has been used. Identify and correct these words. Some of the mistakes occur more than once in the contract.


Exercise 2:

Read this informal discussion, in which the person who signed the contract in Exercise 1 is telling their friend about their new job. Complete the gaps with an appropriate word or expression from the box. Some of these words appeared in Exercise 1.


James:
Hi, Sarah. How's the new job going?
Sarah:
Oh, not too bad. I'm still trying to find my feet, though.
James:
Tell me a bit about it.
Sarah:
Well, my official job ___________ is Regional Production Manager, which means that my main ___________ is to ___________ the work of the production department.
James:
Where are you ___________?
Sarah:
Most of my work is done at the ___________ in central London, but I also have to spend time at our various ___________ and ___________ in the area. There are several of these in the South and South-East.
James:
Who do you ___________?
Sarah:
The Central Production Manager. Tom Atkinson, his name is. I've only met him a couple of times, but he seems nice enough. We meet once a month to ___________ each other on major issues. We ___________ the current state of production, and I ___________ any changes that I think need to be made
James:
And what about the ___________?
Sarah:
Pretty typical for this kind of job. I'm on a ___________ contract, which means I work from Monday to Friday, ___________. And occasionally I have to go in at the weekend, too. I get 21 days___________ a year, plus bank holidays.
James:
Not bad. And your ___________? If you don't mind me asking?
Sarah:
No, not at all. I get £35,000 ___________, plus expenses, ___________ for reaching targets, overtime pay and so on.
James:
That's pretty good for a job that just involves checking things are running smoothly.
Sarah:
Well, there's more to my job than just that. I do have several other ___________.
James:
Such as?
Sarah:
First of all I have to ___________ product specifications with sales departments and time schedules with the stock control department. Then I need to ___________ that the product is manufactured according to agreed specifications, and I also have to ___________ the quality of the finished product.
James:
That's all?
Sarah:
No. I also need to ___________ with our suppliers on prices for our base materials, ___________ those suppliers on a regular basis to check the quality of the base materials…
James:
Do you have a car for that?
Sarah:
Oh yes, the company provides me with one. I also have to ___________ problems as they arise on a day-to-day basis, and ___________ regular sales reports for the Directors.
James:
Anything else?
Sarah:
Well, on top of everything else, I'm ___________ for managing 10 machinists, 3 trainees, 2 cleaners and 2 security guards.
James:
That sounds like a lot of work for one person. Can you ___________ any of it?
Sarah:
Unfortunately no. I have to do it all myself!

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments