Wednesday 18 March 2020

UNIT 137. Phrasal verbs 1 General points ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 137. Phrasal verbs 1   General points

A
We often use verbs with the following words:

in
out
up
away
by
about
over
round or around
out
off
down
back
through
along
forward

So you can say look out /get on /take off /run away etc. These are phrasal verbs.

We often use on/off/out etc. with verbs of movement. For example:
get on
drive off
come back
turn round
The bus was full. We couldn't get on.
A woman got into the car and drove off.
Sarah is leaving tomorrow and coming back on Saturday.
When I touched him on the shoulder, he turned round.

But often the second word (on/off/out etc.) gives a special meaning to the verb. For example:
break down
look out
take off
get on
get by
Sorry I'm late. The car broke down. (=the engine stopped working)
Look out! There's a car coming. (= be careful)
It was my first flight. I was nervous as the plane took off. (=went into the air)
How was the exam? How did you get on? (=How did you do?)
My French isn't very good, but it's enough to get by. (= manage)

For more phrasal verbs, see Units 138-145.
B

Sometimes a phrasal verb is followed by a preposition. For example:
phrasal verb
preposition


run away
from
Why did you run away from me?
You're walking too fast. I can't keep up with you.
We looked up at the plane as it flew above us.
Are you looking forward to your trip?
keep up
with
look up
at
look forward
to
C
Sometimes a phrasal verb has an object. Usually there are two possible positions for the object.
So you can say:

Some more examples:








EXERCISES

137.1
Complete each sentence using a verb from A (in the correct form) + a word from B. You can use a word more than once.

1
The bus was full. We couldn’t ______ get on ______.
2
I've been standing for the last two hours. I'm going to _____________ for a bit.
A cat tried to catch the bird, but it _____________ just in time.
We were trapped in the building. We couldn’t _____________.
I can’t hear you very well Can you _____________  a little?
3
4
5
6
'Do you speak German? 'Not very well, but I can _____________.
Everything has got so expensive. Prices have _____________ a lot.
I thought there was somebody behind me, but when I _____________, there was nobody there.
7
8
137.2
Complete the sentences using a word from A and a word from B. You can use a word more than once.


1
You're walking too fast. I can’t keep ___up with __ you.
2
My holidays are nearly over. Next week I’ll be __________ work.
We went __________ the top floor of the building to admire the view.
The meeting tomorrow is going to be difficult. I'm not looking __________ it.
There was a bank robbery last week. The robbers got __________ £50,000.
I love to look __________ the stars in the sky at night.
I was sitting in the kitchen when a bird flew __________ the open window.
3
4
5
6
7
137.3
Complete the sentences using these phrasal verbs+ it/them/me:

fill in
get out
give back
switch on
take off
wake up

1
They gave me a form and told me to ______ fill it in. ____________
2
I'm going to bed now. Can you __________________ at 6.30?
I’ve got something in my eye and I can’t __________________.
I don't like it when people borrow things and don't _________________.
I want to use the hair dryer. How do I __________________?
My shoes are dirty. I'd better __________________ before going into the house.
3
4
5
6
137.4
Use your own ideas to complete the sentences. Use a noun (this box etc.) or a pronoun (it/ them etc.) +the word in brackets (away/up etc.).

1
Don’t throw ____away this box. _____ . I want to keep it. (away)
2
I don’t want this newspaper. You can throw _____ it away_____.’ (away)
3
I borrowed these books from the library. I have to take ____________ tomorrow. (back)
We can turn ____________. Nobody is watching it. (off)
4
5
A: How did the vase get broken?
B: I'm afraid I knocked ____________ while I was cleaning. (over)
6
Shh! My mother is asleep. I don't want to wake ____________. (up)
It's cold today. You should put ____________ if you're going out. (on)
It was only a small fire. I was able to put ____________ easily. (out)
7
8
9
A: Is this hotel more expensive than when we stayed here last year?
B: Yes, they've put ____________. (up)
10
It's a bit dark in this room. Shall I turn ____________? (on)





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments