Thursday 26 March 2020

38. Phrasal verbs 3 TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 4


TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 4
38. Phrasal verbs 3

Replace the words in brackets in the following sentences with a suitable phrasal verb. Put the verbs in the correct form.
back up
break up
do up
get off
go into
go round
go through
hang out with
hold down
keep up with
let down
look down on
take in
take on
turn off

1
We have to stick together on this. I’ll speak to the manager, but you’ve got to ___ back ___ me ___ up__. (support)
2
I warn you – I’m very fast. You won’t be able to __________ me. (go as fast as)
3
My father gives money to homeless people in the street, but he still __________ them. (considers himself better than)
4
What’s happened to me and Justin? We __________ ages ago. (ended our relationship)
5
Actually, Justin __________ me __________ badly. He had promised to take me with him to America. (disappointed me)
6
There are seven of us, aren’t there? I’ve got some sandwiches, but not really enough to __________. (be shared by everyone)
7
This year has been pure hell. I couldn’t __________ that again. (suffer)
8
What’s wrong with that guy? That’s the fifth time he has been sacked this year. Why can’t he __________ a job? (keep)
9
We really have to __________ this bathroom. Look at the state of it! (decorate)
10
Be realistic. Avoid stress. Don’t __________ more work than you can do. (agree to do)
11
Are you still __________ that weird guy Andrew? Oh, you married him – I’m sorry! (spend time with)
12
There are a lot of reasons for this, but I can’t __________ them now. (explain fully)
13
My son was arrested for assault, but he __________ with a warning. (escaped, avoided serious punishment)
14
If the idea of sick people _________ you _________, a career in nursing is not for you. (is very unattractive to)
15
That’s enough computer science for one day! I just can’t _________ any more. (learn, understand)



Answer key

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments