Friday 13 March 2020

UNIT 112. Even ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 112. Even

A
Study this example situation:

Tina loves watching television.

She has a TV in every room of the house, even the bathroom.

We use even to say that something is unusual or surprising. It is not usual to have a TV in the bathroom.

Some more examples:

These pictures are really awful. Even I take better pictures than these.
(and I'm certainly not a good photographer)

He always wears a coat, even in hot weather.
The print was very small. I couldn't read it, even with glasses.


or
Nobody would help her, not even her best friend.
Not even her best friend would help her.


You can use even with the verb in the middle of a sentence (see Unit 110):

Sue has travelled all over the world. She has even been to the Antarctic.
(It's especially unusual to go to the Antarctic, so she must have travelled a lot.)

They are very rich. They even have their own private jet.

Study these examples with even after a negative (not/can't/don't etc.):

I can’t cook. I can't even boil an egg. (and boiling an egg is very easy)
They weren't very friendly to us. They didn't even say hello.
Jessica is very fit. She's just run five miles and she’s not even out of breath.




You can use even+ comparative (cheaper I more expensive etc.):

I got up very early} but jack got up even earlier.
I knew I didn’t have much money, but I've got even less than I thought.
We were surprised to get an email from her. We were even more surprised when she came to see us a few days later.



Even though /even when /even if
We use even though / even when /even if +subject+ verb:


He never shouts, even when he's angry.
This river is dangerous. It's dangerous to swim in it, even if you're a strong swimmer.


You cannot use even in this way(+ subject+ verb). We say:

Even though she can't drive, she bought a car. (not Even she can’t drive)
I can't reach the shelf even if I stand on a chair. (not even I stand)


Compare even if and if:

We're going to the beach tomorrow. It doesn’t 1t matter what the weather is like.
We're going even if ifs raining.

We want to go to the beach tomorrow, but we won't go if it's raining.



EXERCISES

112.1
Amy, Kate and Lisa are three friends who went on holiday together. Use the information given about them to complete the sentences using even or not even.


1
They stayed at a hotel. Everybody liked it, _____even Kate._________
2
They arranged to meet. They all arrived on time, ____________________.
They went to an art gallery. Nobody enjoyed it, ____________________.
Yesterday they had to get up early. They all managed to do this, ____________________.
They were together yesterday. They were all in a good mood, ____________________.
None of them took any pictures, ____________________.
3
4
5
6
112.2
Make sentences with even. Use the words in brackets.

1
Sue has been all over the world. (the Antarctic) ____She has even been to the Antarctic. ______
2
We painted the whole room. (the floor) We ________________________________
3
Rachel has met lots of famous people. (the prime minister)
She ________________________________
4
You could hear the noise from a long way away. (from the next street)
You ________________________________

In the following sentences you have to use not ... even.

5
They didn't say anything to us. (hello) _____They didn’t even say hello. _______________
6
I can't remember anything about her. (her name)
I __________________________________________________________________________
7
There isn't anything to do in this town. (a cinema)
__________________________________________________________________________
8
He didn't tell anybody where he was going. (his wife)
__________________________________________________________________________
9
I don't know anyone in our street. (the people next door)
__________________________________________________________________________
112.3
Complete the sentences using even + comparative.

1
It was very hot yesterday, but today it's ____even hotter _______
2
The church is 500 years old, but the house next to it is _____________________.
That's a very good idea, but I've got an _____________________ one.
The first question was very difficult to answer. The second one was _____________________.
I did very badly in the exam, but most of my friends did _____________________.
Neither of us was hungry. I ate very little and my friend ate _____________________.
3
4
5
6
112.4
Put in if, even, even if or even though.

1
_____ Even though _____ she can't drive, she has bought a car.
2
The bus leaves in five minutes, but we can still catch it _______________we run.
The bus leaves in two minutes. We won't catch it now _______________we run.
His Spanish isn't very good, _______________ after three years in Spain.
His Spanish isn't very good, _______________ he lived in Spain for three years.
3
4
5
6
_______________ with the heating on, it was cold in the house.
I couldn't sleep _______________ I was very tired.
I won't forgive them for what they did, _______________ they apologise.
_______________ I hadn't eaten anything for 24 hours, I wasn't hungry.
7
8
9



ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments