Wednesday, 18 March 2020

UNIT 139. Phrasal verbs 3 out ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 139. Phrasal verbs 3  out

A
out= not burning, not shining
go out
put out a fire /a cigarette /a light
turn out a light
blow out a candle
√
Suddenly all the lights in the building went out.
We managed to put the fire out.
I turned the lights out before leaving.
We don't need the candle. You can blow it out.
√
√
√
B
work out
work out =do physical exercises

√
Rachel works out at the gym three times a week.

work out =develop, progress

√
Good luck for the future. I hope everything works out well for you.

√
A: Why did James leave the company?
B: Things didn't work out. (=things didn't work out well)

work out (for mathematical calculations)

√
The total bill for three people is £84.60. That works out at £28.20 each.

work something out =calculate, think about a problem and find the answer

√
345 x 76? I need to do this on paper. I can't work it out in my head.
C
Other verbs + out
carry out an order, an experiment, a survey, an investigation, a plan etc.

√
Soldiers are expected to carry out orders.
 An investigation into the accident will be carried out as soon as possible.

√

fall out (with somebody) =stop being friends

√
They used to be very good friends. I'm surprised to hear that they have fallen out.
David fell out with his father and left home.

√

find out that/what/when ... etc., find out about something =get information

√
The police never found out who committed the murder.
I just found out that it's Helen's birthday today.
I checked a few websites to find out about hotels in the town.

√

√

give/ hand things out =give to each person

√
At the end of the lecture, the speaker gave out information sheets to the audience.

point something out (to somebody) =draw attention to something

√
As we drove through the city, our guide pointed out all the sights.
I didn't realise I'd made a mistake until somebody pointed it out to me.

√

run out (of something)

√
We ran out of petrol on the motorway. (=we used all our petrol)

sort something out =find a solution to, put in order

√
There are a few problems we need to sort out.
All these papers are mixed up. I'll have to sort them out.

√

turn out to be ... , turn out good/nice etc. , turn out that ...

√
Nobody believed Paul at first, but he turned out to be right. (=it became clear in the end that he was right)

√
The weather wasn't so good in the morning, but it turned out nice later.
I thought they knew each other, but it turned out that they'd never met.

√

try out a machine, a system, a new idea etc. =test it to see if it is OK

√
The company is trying out a new computer system at the moment.







EXERCISES

139.1
Which words can go together? Choose from the list.

a candle
a cigarette
a light
a mess
a mistake
a new product
an order


1
turn out _______________________
2
point out _______________________
3
blow out _______________________
4
carry out _______________________
5
put out _______________________
6
try out _______________________
7
sort out _______________________
139.2
Complete the sentences using a verb +out.

1
The company is ____ trying out _____ a new computer system at the moment.
2
Steve is very fit. He does a lot of sport and _______________ regularly.
The road will be closed for two days next week while building work is _______________.
We didn't manage to discuss everything at the meeting. We _______________ of time.
You have to _______________ the problem yourself. I can't do it for you.
I don't know what happened exactly. I need to _______________.
3
4
5
6
7
The new drug will be _______________ on a small group of patients.
I thought the two books were the same until a friend of mine _______________ the difference.
They got married a few years ago, but it didn't _______________ and they separated.
There was a power cut and all the lights _______________.
We thought she was American at first, but she _______________ to be Swedish.
8
9
10
11
12
Sometimes it _______________ cheaper to eat in a restaurant than to cook at home.
I haven't applied for the job yet. I want to _______________ more about the company first.
It took the fire brigade two hours to _______________ the fire.
13
14
139.3
For each picture, complete the sentence using a verb+ out.

139.4
Complete the sentences. Each time use a verb+ out.

1
A: Was the fire serious?
B: No, we were able to ______  put it out _____.
2
A: This recipe looks interesting.
B: Yes, let's _____________________________________.
3
A: How much money do I owe you exactly?
B: just a moment. I'll have to _____________________________________.
4
A: What happened about your problem with your bank?
B: It's OK now. I went to see them and we _____________________________________.





ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments