Friday 20 March 2020

Additional exercises -ing and to … ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
Additional exercises
-ing and to …

26
Put the verb into the correct form.

1
How old were you when you learnt _____ to drive _____ ? (drive)
2
I don't mind ___ walking ____ home, but I'd rather ____ get ____ a taxi. (walk, get)
3
I can't make a decision. I keep ______________ my mind. (change)
He had made his decision and refused ______________ his mind. (change)
Why did you change your decision? What made you ______________ your mind? (change)
4
5
6
It was a really good holiday. I really enjoyed ______________ by the sea again. (be)
Did I really tell you I was unhappy? I don't remember ______________ that. (say)
'Remember ______________ Tom tomorrow.' 'OK. I won't forget.'
7
8
9
The water here is not very good. I'd avoid ______________ it if I were you. (drink)
I pretended ______________ interested in the conversation, but really it was very boring. (be)
I got up and looked out of the window ______________ what the weather was like. (see)
I have a friend who claims ______________ able to speak five languages. (be)
I like ______________ carefully about things before ______________ a decision. (think, make)
10
11
12
13
14

I had a flat in the centre of town but I didn't like ______________ there, so I decided ______________ (live, move)
Steve used ______________ a footballer. He had to stop ______________. because of an injury. (be, play)
After ______________ by the police, the man admitted ______________ the car, but denied ______________  at 100 miles an hour. (stop, steal, drive)
A: How do you make this machine ______________? (work)
B: I'm not sure. Try ______________ that button and see what happens. (press)
15

16

17
27
Make sentences from the words in brackets.

1
I can't find the tickets. (I /seem /lose /them)
______ I seem to have lost them _________.
2
I don't have far to go. (it /not /worth /take /a taxi)
_______ It’s not worth taking a taxi _____________.
3
I'm feeling a bit tired. (I /not /fancy /go /out)
4
Tim isn't very reliable. (he /tend /forget /things)
5
I've got a lot of luggage. (you /mind /help /me?)
6
There's nobody at home. (everybody /seem /go out)
7
We don't like our apartment. (we /think /move)
8
The vase was very valuable. (I /afraid /touch /it)
9
Ben never carries a lot of money with him. (he /afraid /robbed)
10
I wouldn't go to see the film. (it /not /worth /see)
11
I'm very tired after that long walk. (I /not /used /walk /so far)
12
Sue is on holiday. I received a postcard from her yesterday. (she /seem /enjoy /herself)
13
Dan had lots of photographs he'd taken while on holiday. (he /insist /show /them to me)
14
I don't want to do the shopping. (I'd rather /somebody else /do /it)
28
Complete the second sentence so that the meaning is similar to the first.

1
I was surprised I passed the exam.
I didn't expect _____ to pass the exam. ____________
2
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Did you succeed _____ in solving the problem.? _______________
3
I don't read newspapers any more.
I've given up ___________________________________________.
4
I'd prefer not to go out tonight.
I'd rather ___________________________________________.
5
He finds it difficult to sleep at night.
He has trouble ___________________________________________.
6
Shall I phone you this evening?
Do you want ___________________________________________?
7
Nobody saw me come in.
I came in without ___________________________________________.
8
They said I was a cheat.
I was accused ___________________________________________.
9
It will be good to see them again.
I'm looking forward ___________________________________________.
10
What do you think I should do?
What do you advise me ___________________________________________?
11
It's a pity I couldn't go out with you last night.
I'd like ___________________________________________.
12
I wish I'd taken your advice.
I regret ___________________________________________.







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments