Friday 20 March 2020

Additional exercises Present and past (2) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
Additional exercises
Present and past (2)

5
Put the verb into the correct form: past simple (I did), past continuous (I was doing), past perfect (I had done) or past perfect continuous (I had been doing).

6
Make sentences from the words in brackets. Put the verb into the correct form: present perfect (1 have done), present perfect continuous (I have been doing), past perfect (I had done) or past perfect continuous (1 had been doing).

1
Amanda is sitting on the ground. She's out of breath.
(she /run) _____ She has been running _______.
2
Where's my bag? I left it under this chair.
(somebody /take /it) _____________________________________.
3
We were all surprised when Jess and Nick got married last year.
(they /only /know /each other /a few weeks) _____________________________________.
4
It's still raining. I wish it would stop.
(it /rain /all day) _____________________________________.
5
Suddenly I woke up. I was confused and didn't know where I was.
(I /dream) _____________________________________.
6
I wasn't hungry at lunchtime, so I didn't have anything to eat.
(I /have /a big breakfast) _____________________________________.
7
Every year Robert and Tina spend a few days at the same hotel by the sea.
(they /go /there for years) _____________________________________.
8
I've got a headache.
(I /have /it /since /got up) _____________________________________.
9
Next month Gary is going to run in a marathon.
(he /train /very hard for it) _____________________________________.
7
Put the verb into the correct form.

Sarah and Joe are old friends. They meet by chance at a train station.

Sarah
: Hello, Joe. (1) ______________ (I /not /see) you for ages. How are you?
Joe
: I'm fine. How about you?
(2) ______________ (you /look) good.
Sarah
: Thanks. You too.
So, (3) ______________ (you /go) somewhere or (4) ______________ (you /meet) somebody?
Joe
: (5) ______________ (I /go) to London for a business meeting.
Sarah
: Oh. (6) ______________ (you /often /go) away on business?
Joe
: Quite often, yes. And you? Where (7) ______________ (you /go)?
Sarah
: Nowhere. (8) ______________ (I /meet) a friend.
Unfortunately her train (9) ______________ (be) delayed-(10) ______________ (I /wait) here for nearly an hour.
Joe
: How are your children?
Sarah
: They're all fine, thanks. The youngest (11 ) ______________ (just /start) school.
Joe
: How (12) ______________ (she /get) on? (13) ______________  (she /like) it?
Sarah
: Yes, (14) ______________ (she /think) it's great.
Joe
: (15) ______________ (you /work) at the moment? The last time I (16) ______________ (speak) to you, (17) ______________ (you /work) in a travel agency.
Sarah
: That's right. Unfortunately the company (18) ______________ (go) out of business a couple of months after (19) ______________ (I /start) work there, so (20) ______________ (I /lose) my job.
Joe
: And (21) ______________ (you /not /have) a job since then?
Sarah
: Not a permanent job. (22) ______________. (I /have) a few temporary jobs. By the way, (23) ______________ (you /see) Matt recently?
Joe
: Matt? He's in Canada.
Sarah
: Really? How long (24) ______________ (he /be) in Canada?
Joe
: About a year now. (25) ______________ (I /see) him a few days before (26) ______________ (he /go). (27) ______________ (he /be) unemployed for months, so (28) ______________ (he / decide) to try his luck somewhere else. (29) ______________ (he /really /look forward) to going.
Sarah
: So, what (30) ______________ (he /do) there?
Joe
: I have no idea. (31) ______________ (I /not /hear) from him since (32) ______________ (he /leave). Anyway, I have to go and catch my train. It was really nice to see you again.
Sarah
: You too. Bye. Have a good trip.
Joe
: Thanks. Bye.
8
Put the verb into the most suitable form.

1
Who ______________ (invent) the bicycle?
'Do you still have a headache?' 'No, ______________ (it /go). I'm OK now.'
I was the last to leave the office last night. Everybody else ______________ (go) home when I ______________ (leave).
2
3
4
What ______________ (you /do) last weekend? ______________ (you /go) away?
I like your car. How long ______________ (you /have) it?
It's a shame the trip was cancelled. I ______________ (look) forward to it.
Jane is an experienced teacher and loves her job. ______________ (she /teach) for 15 years.
______________ (I /buy) a new jacket last week, but ______________ (I /not /wear) it yet.
5
6
7
8
9
A few days ago ______________ (I /see) a man at a party whose face ______________ (be) very familiar. At first I couldn't think where ______________ (I /see) him before. Then suddenly ______________ (I /remember) who ______________ (it /be).
10
______________ (you /hear) of Agatha Christie? ______________ (she /be) a writer who ______________ (die) in 1976. ______________ (she /write) more than 70 detective novels. ______________ (you /read) any of them?
11
A: What ______________ (this word /mean)?
B: I've no idea. ______________ (I /never /see) it before. Look it up in the dictionary.
12
A: ______________ (you /get) to the theatre in time for the play last night?
B: No, we were late. By the time we got there, ______________ (it /already /start).
13
I went to Sarah's room and ______________ (knock) on the door, but there ______________ (be) no answer. Either ______________ (she /go) out or ______________ (she /not /want) to see anyone.
14
Patrick asked me how to use the photocopier. ______________ (he /never / use) it before, so ______________ (he /not /know) what to do.
15
Lisa ______________ (go) for a swim after work yesterday. ______________ (she /need) some exercise because ______________ (she /sit) in an office all day in front of a computer.





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments