Friday 20 March 2020

Additional exercises Reported speech ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
Additional exercises
Reported speech

25
Complete the sentences using reported speech.

A woman phoned at lunchtime yesterday and asked _____ if she could speak to Paul______. I told _______________________________________________ and _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________. I asked _______________________________________________
but she said _______________________________________________ later. But she never did.

I went to London recently, but my visit didn't begin well. I had reserved a hotel room, but when I got to the hotel they told _______________________________________________. When I asked _______________________________________________, they said _______________________________________________, but _______________________________________________ There was nothing I could do. I just had to look for somewhere else to stay.


After getting off the plane, we had to queue for an hour to get through immigration. Finally it was our turn. The immigration official asked us _______________________________________________, and we told _______________________________________________. Then he wanted to know _______________________________________________ and _______________________________________________. He seemed satisfied with our answers, checked our passports and wished us a pleasant stay.


A: What time is Sue arriving this afternoon?
B: About three. She said _______________________________________________ us _______________________________________________
A: Aren't you going to meet her?
B: No, she said _______________________________________________. She said _______________________________________________.


A few days ago a man phoned from a marketing company and started asking me questions. He wanted to know _______________________________________________ and asked _______________________________________________. I don't like people phoning and asking questions like that, so I told _______________________________________________ and I put the phone down.


Louise and Sarah are in a restaurant waiting for Paul.
LOUISE: I wonder where Paul is. He said _______________________________________________.
SARAH: Maybe he's got lost.
LOUISE: I don't think so. He said _______________________________________________ And I told _______________________________________________


Five minutes later
JOE: Is there anything to eat?
JANE: You just said _______________________________________________
JOE: Well, I am now. I'd love a banana.
JANE: A banana? But you said _______________________________________________
You told _______________________________________________











ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments