Wednesday, 18 March 2020

UNIT 134. Verb + preposition 3 about and of ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 134. Verb + preposition 3     about and of

A

hear ABOUT ... =be told about something

√
Did you hear about the fire at the hotel yesterday?

hear OF ... =know that somebody/something exists

√
'Who is Tom Hart?’       ‘I have no idea. I've never heard of him.’ (not heard from him)

hear FROM .. . =be in contact with somebody

√
‘Have you heard from Jane recently?' ~Yes, she called me a few days ago.'
B
think ABOUT ... and think OF .. .
When you think ABOUT something, you consider it, you concentrate your mind on it:

√
I've thought about what you said and I've decided to take your advice.
‘Will you lend me the money?' I‘ll think about it.'

√

When you think OF something, the idea comes to your mind:

√
It was my idea. I thought of it first. (not thought about it)
I felt embarrassed. I couldn't think of anything to say. (not think about anything)

√

We also use think of when we ask or give an opinion:

√
‘what did you think of the movie?' ‘1 didn't think much of it.' (=I didn't like it much)

The difference is sometimes very small and you can use of or about:

√
When I'm alone, I often think of (or about) you.

You can say think of or think about doing something (for possible future actions):

√
My sister is thinking of (or about) going to Canada. (=she is considering it)
C

dream ABOUT .. . (when you are asleep)

√
I dreamt about you last night.

dream OF or ABOUT being something /doing something =imagine

√
Do you dream of (or about) being rich and famous?

I wouldn't dream OF doing something =I would never do it

√
‘Don't tell anyone what I said.' No, I wouldn't dream of it.' (=I would never do it)
D

complain (TO somebody) ABOUT ... =say that you are not satisfied

√
We complained to the manager of the restaurant about the food.

complain OF a pain, an illness etc. =say that you have a pain etc.

√
We called the doctor because George was complaining of a pain in his stomach.
E

remind somebody ABOUT .. . = tell somebody not to forget

√
I'm glad you reminded me about the meeting. I'd completely forgotten about it.

remind somebody 0F ... = cause somebody to remember

√
This house reminds me of the one I lived in when I was a child.
Look at this photograph of Richard. Who does he remind you of?

√
F

warn somebody ABOUT a person or thing which is bad, dangerous, unusual etc.

√
I knew he was a strange person. I had been warned about him. (not warned of him)
Vicky warned me about the traffic. She said it would be bad.

√

warn somebody ABOUT or OF a danger, something bad which might happen later

√
Scientists have warned us about (or of) the effects of climate change.

EXERCISES

134.1
Complete the sentences using hear or heard + a preposition (about/of/from).

1
I've never ______ heard of ____ Tom Hart. Who is he?
2
'Did you ________ the accident last night?' 'Yes, Vicky told me.'
Jane used to call me quite often, but I haven't ________ her for a long time now.
A: Have you ________ a writer called William Hudson?
B: No, I don't think so. What sort of writer is he?
3
4
5
Thanks for your email. It was good to ________ you.
'Do you want to ________ our holiday?' 'Not now. Tell me later.'
I live in a small town in the north of England. You've probably never ________ it.
6
7
134.2
Complete the sentences using think about or think of. Sometimes both about and of are possible. Use the correct form of think (think/thinking/thought).

1
You look serious. What are you ______ thinking about ________?
2
I need time to make decisions. I like to _____________ things carefully.
That's a good idea. Why didn't I _____________ that?
A: I've finished reading the book you lent me.
B: What did you _____________ it? Did you think it was good?
3
4
5
We're _____________ going out to eat this evening. Would you like to come?
I don't really want to go out with Tom tonight. I'll have to _____________ an excuse.
When I was offered the job, I didn't accept immediately. I went away and _____________ it for a while. In the end I decided to take the job.
6
7
8
I don't _____________ much _____________ this coffee. It's like water.
Katherine is homesick. She's always _____________ her family back home.
A: Do you think I should apply to do the course?
B: I can't _____________ any reason why not.
9
10
134.3
Put in the correct preposition.

1
Did you hear _____ about ______ the fire at the hotel yesterday?
2
'I had a strange dream last night.' 'Did you? What did you dream ____________ ?'
Our neighbours complained ____________us ____________the noise we made last night.
Kevin was complaining ____________pains in his chest, so he went to the doctor.
I love this music. It reminds me ____________a warm day in spring.
3
4
5
6

He loves his job. He thinks his work all the time, he dreams ____________it, he talks ____________it and I'm fed up with hearing ____________it.
'We've got no money. What can we do?' 'Don't worry. I'll think ____________something.'
Jackie warned me ____________the water. She said it wasn't safe to drink.
We warned our children ____________the dangers of playing in the street.
7
8
9
134.4
Complete the sentences using these verbs (in the correct form) + a preposition:
complain
dream
hear
remind
remind
think
think
warn

1
It was my idea. I _____ thought of ____ it first.
2
Ben is never satisfied. He's always _________ something.
I can't make a decision yet. I need time to _________ your proposal.
Before you go into the house, I must _________ you _________ the dog. He's bitten people before, so be careful.
3
4
5
She's not a well-known singer. Not many people have _________ her.
A: You wouldn't go away without telling me, would you?
B: Of course not. I wouldn't _________ it.
6
7
I would have forgotten my appointment if Jane hadn't _________ me it.
Do you see that man over there? Does he _________ you _________ anybody you know?
8





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments