Friday 20 March 2020

Additional exercises Passive ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
Additional exercises
Passive

22
Put the verb into the most suitable passive form.

1
There's somebody behind us. I think ___ we’re being followed ______ (we /follow) .
2
A mystery is someth.mg that ____ can’t be explained _____ (can't /explain).
3
We didn't play football yesterday. The game _______________ (cancel).
The TV _______________ (repair). It's working again now.
In the middle of the village there is a church which _______________ (restore) at the moment. The work is almost finished.
4
5
6
The tower is the oldest part of the church. _______________ (it /believe) to be over 600 years old.
If I didn't do my job properly, _______________ (I /would /sack).
A: I left a newspaper on the desk last night and it isn't there now.
B: _______________ (It /might /throw) away.
7
8
9
I learnt to swim when I was very young. _______________ (I /teach) by my mother.
After _______________ (arrest), I was taken to the police station.
_______________ (you /ever /arrest)?' 'No, never.'
Two people _______________ (report) to _______________ (injure) in an explosion at a factory in Birmingham early this morning.
10
11
12
23
Put the verb into the correct form , active or passive.

1
This house is quite old. It ____ was built _____ (build) over 100 years ago.
2
My grandfather was a builder. He _____ built ____ (build) this house many years ago.
3
'Is your car still for sale?' 'No, I _______________ (sell) it.'
A: Is the house at the end of the street still for sale?
B: No, it _____________ (sell).
4
5
Sometimes mistakes _______________ (make). It's inevitable.
I wouldn't leave your car unlocked. It _______________ (might /steal).
My bag has disappeared. It _______________ (must /steal).
I can't find my hat. Somebody _______________ (must /take) it by mistake.
It’s a serious problem. I don't know how it _______________ (can /solve).
6
7
8
9
10
We didn't leave early enough. We _______________ (should /leave) earlier.
Nearly every time I travel by plane, my flight _______________ (delay).
A new bridge _______________ (build) across the river. Work started last year and the bridge _______________ (expect) to open next year.
11
12
24
Read these newspaper reports and put the verbs into the most suitable form.

1.

Castle Fire

Winton Castle (1) ___ was damaged ___ (damage) in a fire last night. The fire, which (2) _________ (discover) at about 9 o'clock, spread very quickly. Nobody (3) _________ (injure), but two people had to (4) _________ (rescue) from an upstairs room. A number of paintings (5) _________ (believe /destroy). It (6) _________ (not /know) how the fire started.
3.

Road delays

Repair work started yesterday on the Paxham-Longworth road. The road (1) _________ (resurface) and there will be long delays. Drivers
(2) _________ (ask) to use an alternative route if possible. The work (3) _________ (expect) to last two weeks. Next Sunday the road (4) _________ (close), and ' traffic (5) _________ (divert).
2.

Shop Robbery

In Paxham yesterday a shop assistant (1) _________ (force) to hand over £500 after (2) _________ (threaten) by a man with a knife. The man escaped in a car which (3) _________ (steal) earlier in the day. The car (4) _________ (later /find) in a car park where it (5) _________ (abandon) by the thief. A man (6} _________ (arrest) in connection with the robbery and (7) _________ (still /question) by the police.
4.

Accident

A woman (1) _________ (take) to hospital after her car collided with a lorry near Norstock yesterday. She (2) _________ (allow) home later after treatment. The road (3) _________ (block) for an hour after the accident, and traffic had to (4) _________ (divert). A police inspector said afterwards: The woman was lucky. She could (5) _________  (kill).'







ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments