Thursday 19 March 2020

UNIT 145. Phrasal verbs 9 away/ back ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 145. Phrasal verbs 9  away/ back

A
Compare away and back:
away = away from home
We're going away on holiday today.

away = away from a place, a person etc.
The woman got into her car, started the engine and drove away.
I tried to take a picture of the bird, but it flew away.
I dropped the ticket and it blew away in the wind.
The police searched the house and took away a computer.

In the same way you can say:
walk away, run away, look away etc.
back = back home
We'll be back in three weeks.

back= back to a place, a person etc.
A: I'm going out now.
B: What time will you be back?
After eating at a restaurant, we walked back to our hotel.
I've still got Jane's keys. I forgot to give them back to her.
When you've finished with that book, can you put it back on the shelf?

In the same way you can say:
go back, come back, get back, take something back etc.
B
Other verbs + away
get away =escape, leave with difficulty

We tried to catch the thief, but she managed to get away.

get away with something =do something wrong without being caught

I parked in a no-parking zone, but I got away with it. I didn't have to pay a fine.

keep away (from ... ) =don't go near

Keep away from the edge of the pool. You might fall in.

give something away =give it to somebody else because you don't want it any more

'Did you sell your old computer?' 'No, I gave it away.'

put something away =put it in the place where it is kept, usually out of sight

When the children had finished playing with their toys, they put them away.

throw something away =put it in the rubbish

I kept the letter, but I threw away the envelope.
C
Other verbs + back
wave back /smile back /shout back /write back /hit somebody back

I waved to her and she waved back.

call/phone/ring (somebody) back =return a phone call

I can't talk to you now. I'll call you back in ten minutes.

get back to somebody = reply to them by phone etc.

I sent him an email, but he never got back to me.

look back (on something) = think about what happened in the past

My first job was in a travel agency. I didn't like it very much at the time but, looking back on it, I learnt a lot and it was a very useful experience.

pay back money, pay somebody back

If you borrow money, you have to pay it back.
Thanks for lending me the money. I'll pay you back next week.








EXERCISES

145.1
Look at the pictures and complete the sentences.

145.2
Complete the sentences. Use a verb + away or back.

1
I was away all day yesterday. I ____ got back _____ very late.
2
I haven't seen our neighbours for a while. I think they must ______________.
'I'm going out now.' 'OK. What time will you ______________?'
A man was trying to break into a car. When he saw me, he ______________.
I smiled at him, but he didn't ______________.
3
4
5
6
If you cheat in the exam, you might ______________with it. But you might get caught.
Be careful! That's an electric fence. ______________.from it
7
145.3
Complete the sentences using a verb in the correct form.

1
The woman got into her car, started the engine and ____ drove ____ away.
2
Here's the money you need. ______________.me back when you can.
Don't ______________that box away. It could be useful.
Jane doesn't do anything at work. I don't know how she ______________ away with it.
I'm going out now. I'll ______________back in about an hour.
3
4
5
6
You should think more about the future; don't ______________back all the time.
Gary is very generous. He won some money in the lottery and ______________it all away.
I'll ______________back to you as soon as I have the information you need.
7
8
145.4
Complete the sentences. Use the verb in brackets+ away or back.

1
A: Do you still have my keys?
B: No. Don't you remember? I ____ gave them back _____ to you yesterday. (give)
2
A: Do you want this magazine?
B: No, I've finished with it. You can ______________. (throw)
3
A: How are your new jeans? Do they fit you OK?
B: No, I'm going to ______________ to the shop. (take)
4
A: Here's the money you asked me to lend you.
B: Thanks. I'll ______________ as soon as I can. (pay)
5
A: What happened to all the books you used to have?
B: I didn't want them any more, so I ______________. (give)
6
A: Did you phone Sarah?
B: She wasn't there. I left a message asking her to ______________.(call)





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments