Tuesday 17 March 2020

UNIT 131. Adjective + preposition 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 131. Adjective + preposition 2

A
Adjective+ of (1)
afraid /frightened /terrified /scared OF ...

'Are you afraid of spiders?' 'Yes, I'm terrified of them.'

fond /proud /ashamed /jealous /envious OF .. .

Why are you always so jealous of other people?

suspicious /critical /tolerant OF ...

He didn't trust me. He was suspicious of my motives.
B
Adjective+ of (2)
aware /conscious OF ...

'Did you know he was married?' 'No, I wasn't aware of that.'

capable /incapable OF ...

I'm sure you are capable of passing the examination.

full /short OF ...

Amy is a very active person. She's always full of energy.
I'm short of money. Can you lend me some?


typical OF ...

He's late again. It's typical of him to keep everybody waiting.

certain / sure OF or ABOUT ...

I think she's arriving this evening, but I'm not sure of that.        or ... not sure about that.
C
Adjective+ at /to /from /in /on /with /for
good / bad / brilliant / better / hopeless etc. AT ...

I'm not very good at repairing things. (not good in repairing things)

married /engaged TO ...

but
Louise is married to an American. (not married with)
Louise is married with three children. (=she is married and has three children)

similar TO ...

Your writing is similar to mine.

different FROM or different TO ...

The film was different from what I'd expected.       or ...    different to what I'd expected.

interested IN ...

Are you interested in art?

keen ON ...

We stayed at home because Chris wasn't very keen on going out.

dependent ON ... (but independent OF .. . )

I don't want to be dependent on anybody.

crowded WITH (people etc.)

The streets were crowded with tourists. (but ... full of tourists)

famous FOR ...

The Italian city of Florence is famous for its art treasures.

responsible FOR ...

Who was responsible for all that noise last night ?





EXERCISES

131.1
Complete the sentences using these adjectives+ the correct preposition:

afraid
capable
different
interested
proud
responsible
similar
sure

1
I think she's arriving this evening, but I'm not ___ sure of _____ that.
2
Your camera is _______________ mine, but it isn't exactly the same.
Don't worry. I'll look after you. There's nothing to be _______________.
I never watch the news on TV. I'm not _______________ the news.
The editor is the person who is _______________ what appears in a newspaper.
3
4
5
6
Sarah is a keen gardener. She's very _______________ her garden and loves showing it to visitors.
7
I was surprised when I met Lisa for the first time. She was _______________ what I expected.
8
He could become world champion one day. He's _______________ it.
131.2
Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.

131.3
Put in the correct preposition.

1
Amy is always full _____ of ______ energy.
2
My home town is not a very interesting place. It's not famous ______ anything.
Kate is very fond ______ her younger brother.
I don't like going up ladders. I'm scared ______ heights.
You look bored. You don't seem interested ______ what I'm saying.
'Our flight departs at 10.35.' 'Are you sure ______ that?'
3
4
5
6
7
I'm not ashamed ______ what I did. In fact I'm quite proud ______ it.
I wanted to go out for a meal, but nobody else was keen ______ the idea.
These days everybody is aware ______ the dangers of smoking.
The station platform was crowded ______  people waiting for the train.
Sue is much more successful than I am. Sometimes I feel a bit jealous ______ her.
8
9
10
11
12
Do you know anyone who might be interested ______ buying an old car?
We've got plenty to eat. The fridge is full ______ food.
She's very honest . I don't think she is capable ______ telling a lie.
Helen works hard and she's extremely good ______ her job.
It's typical ______ him to change his mind at the last minute.
13
14
15
16
17
Mark has no money of his own. He's totally dependent ______ his parents.
We're short ______ staff in our office at t he moment. We need more people to do the work.
18
131.4
good
pretty good
not very good
hopeless

1
(repairing things) _______ I’m not very good at repairing things. ________________
2
(telling jokes ) _______________________________________________
3
(maths) _______________________________________________
4
(remembering names) _______________________________________________
5
(sport) _______________________________________________





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments