Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 131. Adjective + preposition 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 131. Adjective + preposition 2

A
Adjective+ of (1)
afraid /frightened /terrified /scared OF ...

√
'Are you afraid of spiders?' 'Yes, I'm terrified of them.'

fond /proud /ashamed /jealous /envious OF .. .

√
Why are you always so jealous of other people?

suspicious /critical /tolerant OF ...

√
He didn't trust me. He was suspicious of my motives.
B
Adjective+ of (2)
aware /conscious OF ...

√
'Did you know he was married?' 'No, I wasn't aware of that.'

capable /incapable OF ...

√
I'm sure you are capable of passing the examination.

full /short OF ...

√
Amy is a very active person. She's always full of energy.
I'm short of money. Can you lend me some?

√

typical OF ...

√
He's late again. It's typical of him to keep everybody waiting.

certain / sure OF or ABOUT ...

√
I think she's arriving this evening, but I'm not sure of that.        or ... not sure about that.
C
Adjective+ at /to /from /in /on /with /for
good / bad / brilliant / better / hopeless etc. AT ...

√
I'm not very good at repairing things. (not good in repairing things)

married /engaged TO ...

but
√
Louise is married to an American. (not married with)
Louise is married with three children. (=she is married and has three children)

similar TO ...

√
Your writing is similar to mine.

different FROM or different TO ...

√
The film was different from what I'd expected.       or ...    different to what I'd expected.

interested IN ...

√
Are you interested in art?

keen ON ...

√
We stayed at home because Chris wasn't very keen on going out.

dependent ON ... (but independent OF .. . )

√
I don't want to be dependent on anybody.

crowded WITH (people etc.)

√
The streets were crowded with tourists. (but ... full of tourists)

famous FOR ...

√
The Italian city of Florence is famous for its art treasures.

responsible FOR ...

√
Who was responsible for all that noise last night ?





EXERCISES

131.1
Complete the sentences using these adjectives+ the correct preposition:

afraid
capable
different
interested
proud
responsible
similar
sure

1
I think she's arriving this evening, but I'm not ___ sure of _____ that.
2
Your camera is _______________ mine, but it isn't exactly the same.
Don't worry. I'll look after you. There's nothing to be _______________.
I never watch the news on TV. I'm not _______________ the news.
The editor is the person who is _______________ what appears in a newspaper.
3
4
5
6
Sarah is a keen gardener. She's very _______________ her garden and loves showing it to visitors.
7
I was surprised when I met Lisa for the first time. She was _______________ what I expected.
8
He could become world champion one day. He's _______________ it.
131.2
Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.

131.3
Put in the correct preposition.

1
Amy is always full _____ of ______ energy.
2
My home town is not a very interesting place. It's not famous ______ anything.
Kate is very fond ______ her younger brother.
I don't like going up ladders. I'm scared ______ heights.
You look bored. You don't seem interested ______ what I'm saying.
'Our flight departs at 10.35.' 'Are you sure ______ that?'
3
4
5
6
7
I'm not ashamed ______ what I did. In fact I'm quite proud ______ it.
I wanted to go out for a meal, but nobody else was keen ______ the idea.
These days everybody is aware ______ the dangers of smoking.
The station platform was crowded ______  people waiting for the train.
Sue is much more successful than I am. Sometimes I feel a bit jealous ______ her.
8
9
10
11
12
Do you know anyone who might be interested ______ buying an old car?
We've got plenty to eat. The fridge is full ______ food.
She's very honest . I don't think she is capable ______ telling a lie.
Helen works hard and she's extremely good ______ her job.
It's typical ______ him to change his mind at the last minute.
13
14
15
16
17
Mark has no money of his own. He's totally dependent ______ his parents.
We're short ______ staff in our office at t he moment. We need more people to do the work.
18
131.4
good
pretty good
not very good
hopeless

1
(repairing things) _______ I’m not very good at repairing things. ________________
2
(telling jokes ) _______________________________________________
3
(maths) _______________________________________________
4
(remembering names) _______________________________________________
5
(sport) _______________________________________________





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments