Tuesday 17 March 2020

UNIT 128. By ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 128. By

A
We use by in many expressions to say how we do something. For example, you can:

send something by post
contact somebody by phone I by email
do something by hand
pay by credit card /by cheque

Can I pay by credit card?
You can contact me by phone or by email.

But we say pay cash or pay in cash (not usually by cash).

We also say that something happens by mistake /by accident /by chance:

We hadn't arranged to meet. We met by chance.

But we say 'do something on purpose' (=you mean to do it):

I didn't do it on purpose. It was an accident.
Note that we say by chance, by credit card etc. (not by the chance /by a credit card). In these expressions we use by+ noun without the or a.
B

In the same way we use by ... to say how somebody travels:

by car /by train /by plane /by boat /by ship /by bus /by bike etc.
by road /by rail /by air /by sea

Jess usually goes to work by bus.

But we say on foot:

Did you come here by car or on foot?
You cannot use by if you say my car /the train /a taxi etc. We say:
by car           but         in my car (not by my car)
by train        but         on the train (not by the train)

We use in for cars and taxis:

They didn’t come in their car. They came in a taxi.

We use on for bikes and public transport (buses, trains etc.):

We travelled on the 6.45 train.
C

We say that 'something is done by somebody/something' (passive):

Have you ever been bitten by a dog?
The programme was watched by millions of people.


Compare by and with:

The door must have been opened with a key. (not by a key)
(=somebody used a key to open it)

The door must have been opened by somebody with a key.

We say 'a play by Shakespeare' / 'a painting by Rembrandt' /I 'a novel by Tolstoy' etc. :

Have you read anything by Ernest Hemingway?
D

By also means 'next to /beside':

Come and sit by me. (=next to me)
'Where's the light switch?' 'By the door.'

E

Note the following use of by:

Clare's salary has just gone up from £2,500 a month to £2,750. So it has increased by £250 / by ten per cent.

Carl and Mike had a race over 200 metres. Carl won by about three metres.

EXERCISES

128.1
Complete the sentences using by + the following

canal
chance
credit card
hand
mistake

1
We hadn't arranged to meet. We met ___ by chance_____.
2
I didn't intend to take your umbrella. I took it ______________.
Don't put the sweater in the washing machine. It has to be washed ______________.
I don't need cash. I can pay the bill ______________.
The town is not on the coast, but is connected to the sea ______________.
3
4
5
128.2
Put in by, in or on.

1
Jess usually goes to work ___ by ___ bus.
2
I saw Jane this morning. She was __________ the bus.
How did you get here? Did you come __________ train?
I decided not to go __________ car. I went __________ my bike instead.
I didn't feel like walking home, so I came home __________ a taxi.
Sorry we're late. We missed the bus, so we had to come __________ foot.
How long does it take to cross the Atlantic __________ ship?
3
4
5
6
7
128.3
All these sentences have a mistake. Correct them.

1
Did you come here by Kate’s car or yours?
___ in Kate’s car. ____
2
I don't like travelling on bus.
These photographs were taken by a very good camera.
______________________
3
______________________
4
I know this music is from Beethoven, but I can't remember what it's called.
______________________
5
I couldn't pay by cash - I didn't have any money on me.
______________________
6
We lost the game because of a mistake of one of our players.
______________________
128.4
Write three sentences like the examples. Write about a song, a painting, a film, a book etc.

1
___ War and Peace is a book by Tolstoy.________________
2
____ Romeo and Juliet is a play by Shakespeare. ____________________
3
___________________________________________________________
4
___________________________________________________________
5
___________________________________________________________
128.5
Put in by, in, on or with.

1
Have you ever been bitten ___ by _____ a dog?
2
The plane was badly damaged _____________ lightning.
We managed to put the fire out _____________ a fire extinguisher.
Who is that man standing _____________ the window?
These photographs were taken _____________ a friend of mine.
I don't mind going _____________ car, but I don't want to go _____________ your car.
There was a small table _____________ the bed _____________ a lamp and a dock _____________ it.
3
4
5
6
7
128.6
Complete the sentences using by.

1
Clare's salary was £2,500 a month. Now it is £2,750.
Her salary ___ has increased by£250. ________
2
My daily newspaper used to cost 80 pence. From today it costs 90.
The price has gone up _______________________.
3
There was an election. Helen won. She got 25 votes and James got 23.
Helen won _______________________.
4
I went to Kate's house to see her, but she had gone out five minutes before I arrived.
I missed _______________________.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments