Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 128. By ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 128. By

A
We use by in many expressions to say how we do something. For example, you can:

send something by post
contact somebody by phone I by email
do something by hand
pay by credit card /by cheque

√
Can I pay by credit card?
You can contact me by phone or by email.

√
But we say pay cash or pay in cash (not usually by cash).

We also say that something happens by mistake /by accident /by chance:

√
We hadn't arranged to meet. We met by chance.

But we say 'do something on purpose' (=you mean to do it):

√
I didn't do it on purpose. It was an accident.
Note that we say by chance, by credit card etc. (not by the chance /by a credit card). In these expressions we use by+ noun without the or a.
B

In the same way we use by ... to say how somebody travels:

by car /by train /by plane /by boat /by ship /by bus /by bike etc.
by road /by rail /by air /by sea

√
Jess usually goes to work by bus.

But we say on foot:

√
Did you come here by car or on foot?
You cannot use by if you say my car /the train /a taxi etc. We say:
by car           but         in my car (not by my car)
by train        but         on the train (not by the train)

We use in for cars and taxis:

√
They didn’t come in their car. They came in a taxi.

We use on for bikes and public transport (buses, trains etc.):

√
We travelled on the 6.45 train.
C

We say that 'something is done by somebody/something' (passive):

√
Have you ever been bitten by a dog?
The programme was watched by millions of people.

√

Compare by and with:

√
The door must have been opened with a key. (not by a key)
(=somebody used a key to open it)

√
The door must have been opened by somebody with a key.

We say 'a play by Shakespeare' / 'a painting by Rembrandt' /I 'a novel by Tolstoy' etc. :

√
Have you read anything by Ernest Hemingway?
D

By also means 'next to /beside':

√
Come and sit by me. (=next to me)
'Where's the light switch?' 'By the door.'

√
E

Note the following use of by:

√
Clare's salary has just gone up from £2,500 a month to £2,750. So it has increased by £250 / by ten per cent.

√
Carl and Mike had a race over 200 metres. Carl won by about three metres.

EXERCISES

128.1
Complete the sentences using by + the following

canal
chance
credit card
hand
mistake

1
We hadn't arranged to meet. We met ___ by chance_____.
2
I didn't intend to take your umbrella. I took it ______________.
Don't put the sweater in the washing machine. It has to be washed ______________.
I don't need cash. I can pay the bill ______________.
The town is not on the coast, but is connected to the sea ______________.
3
4
5
128.2
Put in by, in or on.

1
Jess usually goes to work ___ by ___ bus.
2
I saw Jane this morning. She was __________ the bus.
How did you get here? Did you come __________ train?
I decided not to go __________ car. I went __________ my bike instead.
I didn't feel like walking home, so I came home __________ a taxi.
Sorry we're late. We missed the bus, so we had to come __________ foot.
How long does it take to cross the Atlantic __________ ship?
3
4
5
6
7
128.3
All these sentences have a mistake. Correct them.

1
Did you come here by Kate’s car or yours?
___ in Kate’s car. ____
2
I don't like travelling on bus.
These photographs were taken by a very good camera.
______________________
3
______________________
4
I know this music is from Beethoven, but I can't remember what it's called.
______________________
5
I couldn't pay by cash - I didn't have any money on me.
______________________
6
We lost the game because of a mistake of one of our players.
______________________
128.4
Write three sentences like the examples. Write about a song, a painting, a film, a book etc.

1
___ War and Peace is a book by Tolstoy.________________
2
____ Romeo and Juliet is a play by Shakespeare. ____________________
3
___________________________________________________________
4
___________________________________________________________
5
___________________________________________________________
128.5
Put in by, in, on or with.

1
Have you ever been bitten ___ by _____ a dog?
2
The plane was badly damaged _____________ lightning.
We managed to put the fire out _____________ a fire extinguisher.
Who is that man standing _____________ the window?
These photographs were taken _____________ a friend of mine.
I don't mind going _____________ car, but I don't want to go _____________ your car.
There was a small table _____________ the bed _____________ a lamp and a dock _____________ it.
3
4
5
6
7
128.6
Complete the sentences using by.

1
Clare's salary was £2,500 a month. Now it is £2,750.
Her salary ___ has increased by£250. ________
2
My daily newspaper used to cost 80 pence. From today it costs 90.
The price has gone up _______________________.
3
There was an election. Helen won. She got 25 votes and James got 23.
Helen won _______________________.
4
I went to Kate's house to see her, but she had gone out five minutes before I arrived.
I missed _______________________.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments