Monday 16 March 2020

UNIT 121. At/ on/ in (time) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 121. At/ on/ in (time)

A
Compare at, on and in:

They arrived at 5 o'clock.
They arrived on Friday.
They arrived in October. /They arrived in 1998.



We use:
at for the time of day
at five o’clock
at 11.45
at midnight
at sunset  etc.

on for days and dates
on Friday/ on Fridays
on 16 May 2009
on Christmas day
on my birthday

in for longer periods (for example: months/years/seasons)
In October
in (the) winter
in 1998
in the 1990s
in the 18th century
in the Middle Ages
in the past
in (the) future
B
We use at in these expressions:

at night
at the weekend/ at weekends
at Christmas
at the moment/ at present
at the same time
I don't like working at night.
Will you be here at the weekend?
Do you give each other presents at Christmas?
The manager isn't here at the moment /at present.
Kate and I arrived at the same time.
C
We say:
in the morning(s)                                             but
in the afternoon(s)
in the evening(s)

I'll see you in the morning.
Do you work in the evenings?
on Friday morning(s)
on Sunday afternoon (s)
on Monday evening(s) etc.

I'll see you on Friday morning.
Do you work on Saturday evenings?
D

We do not use at/on/in before last/next/this/every:

I'll see you next Friday. (not on next Friday)
They got married last March.


In spoken English we often leave out on before days (Sunday/Monday etc.). So you can say:

I'll see you on Friday.                Or             I'll see you Friday.
I don't work on Monday mornings.                or          I don't work Monday mornings.

E

In a few minutes /in six months etc.

The train will be leaving in a few minutes. (=a few minutes from now)
Andy has gone away. He'll be back in a week. (= a week from now)
They'll be here in a moment. (=a moment from now)



You can also say: in six months' time, in a week's time etc.

They're getting married in six months' time.     or ... in six months.

We also use in ... to say how long it takes to do something:

I learnt to drive in four weeks. (= it took me four weeks to learn)

EXERCISES

121.1
Put in at, on or in.

1
Mozart was born in Salzburg ____ in _____ 1756.
2
I've been invited to a wedding _______ 14 February.
Electricity prices are going up _______ October.
3
4
_______ weekends, we often go for long walks in the country.
I haven't seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her _______ Tuesday.
Jonathan is 63. He'll be retiring from his job _______ two years' time.
I'm busy right now, but I'll be with you _______ a moment.
My brother is an engineer, but he doesn't have a job_______ the moment.
5
6
7
8
9
There are usually a lot of parties _______ New Year's Eve.
I don't like driving _______ night.
My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready _______ · two hours.
My phone and the doorbell rang _______ the same time.
Mary and David always go out for dinner _______ their wedding anniversary.
It was a short book and easy to read. I read it _______ a day.
10
11
12
13
14
15
_______ Saturday night I went to bed _______ midnight.
We travelled overnight and arrived _______  5 o'clock _______ the morning.
The course begins _______ 7 January and ends sometime _______ April.
I might not be at home _______ Tuesday morning, but I'll be there _______ the afternoon.
16
17
18
121.2
Complete the sentences. Use at, on or in +the following:


1
Columbus made his first voyage from Europe to America _____in 1492 ______.
2
If the sky is clear, you can see the stars _______________.
After working hard during the day, I like to relax _______________.
Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon _______________.
It's difficult to listen if everyone is speaking _______________.
Jazz became popular in the United States _______________.
3
4
5
6
7
I'm just going out to the shop. I'll be back _______________.
'Can I speak to Dan?' 'I'm afraid he's busy _______________.’
Many of Europe's great cathedrals were built _______________.
Ben is a very fast runner. He can run 100 metres _______________.
Liz works from Monday to Friday. Sometimes she also works _______________.
8
9
10
11
121.3
Which is correct: a, b, or both of them?




ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments