Monday, 16 March 2020

UNIT 121. At/ on/ in (time) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 121. At/ on/ in (time)

A
Compare at, on and in:

√
They arrived at 5 o'clock.
They arrived on Friday.
They arrived in October. /They arrived in 1998.

√

√

We use:
at for the time of day
at five o’clock
at 11.45
at midnight
at sunset  etc.

on for days and dates
on Friday/ on Fridays
on 16 May 2009
on Christmas day
on my birthday

in for longer periods (for example: months/years/seasons)
In October
in (the) winter
in 1998
in the 1990s
in the 18th century
in the Middle Ages
in the past
in (the) future
B
We use at in these expressions:

at night
at the weekend/ at weekends
at Christmas
at the moment/ at present
at the same time
√
I don't like working at night.
√
Will you be here at the weekend?
√
Do you give each other presents at Christmas?
√
The manager isn't here at the moment /at present.
√
Kate and I arrived at the same time.
C
We say:
in the morning(s)                                             but
in the afternoon(s)
in the evening(s)

√
I'll see you in the morning.
Do you work in the evenings?
√
on Friday morning(s)
on Sunday afternoon (s)
on Monday evening(s) etc.

√
I'll see you on Friday morning.
Do you work on Saturday evenings?
√
D

We do not use at/on/in before last/next/this/every:

√
I'll see you next Friday. (not on next Friday)
They got married last March.

√

In spoken English we often leave out on before days (Sunday/Monday etc.). So you can say:

√
I'll see you on Friday.                Or             I'll see you Friday.
I don't work on Monday mornings.                or          I don't work Monday mornings.

√
E

In a few minutes /in six months etc.

√
The train will be leaving in a few minutes. (=a few minutes from now)
Andy has gone away. He'll be back in a week. (= a week from now)
They'll be here in a moment. (=a moment from now)

√

√

You can also say: in six months' time, in a week's time etc.

√
They're getting married in six months' time.     or ... in six months.

We also use in ... to say how long it takes to do something:

√
I learnt to drive in four weeks. (= it took me four weeks to learn)

EXERCISES

121.1
Put in at, on or in.

1
Mozart was born in Salzburg ____ in _____ 1756.
2
I've been invited to a wedding _______ 14 February.
Electricity prices are going up _______ October.
3
4
_______ weekends, we often go for long walks in the country.
I haven't seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her _______ Tuesday.
Jonathan is 63. He'll be retiring from his job _______ two years' time.
I'm busy right now, but I'll be with you _______ a moment.
My brother is an engineer, but he doesn't have a job_______ the moment.
5
6
7
8
9
There are usually a lot of parties _______ New Year's Eve.
I don't like driving _______ night.
My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready _______ · two hours.
My phone and the doorbell rang _______ the same time.
Mary and David always go out for dinner _______ their wedding anniversary.
It was a short book and easy to read. I read it _______ a day.
10
11
12
13
14
15
_______ Saturday night I went to bed _______ midnight.
We travelled overnight and arrived _______  5 o'clock _______ the morning.
The course begins _______ 7 January and ends sometime _______ April.
I might not be at home _______ Tuesday morning, but I'll be there _______ the afternoon.
16
17
18
121.2
Complete the sentences. Use at, on or in +the following:


1
Columbus made his first voyage from Europe to America _____in 1492 ______.
2
If the sky is clear, you can see the stars _______________.
After working hard during the day, I like to relax _______________.
Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon _______________.
It's difficult to listen if everyone is speaking _______________.
Jazz became popular in the United States _______________.
3
4
5
6
7
I'm just going out to the shop. I'll be back _______________.
'Can I speak to Dan?' 'I'm afraid he's busy _______________.’
Many of Europe's great cathedrals were built _______________.
Ben is a very fast runner. He can run 100 metres _______________.
Liz works from Monday to Friday. Sometimes she also works _______________.
8
9
10
11
121.3
Which is correct: a, b, or both of them?




ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments