Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 130. Adjective + preposition ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


UNIT 130. Adjective + preposition

A
It was nice of you to ...
nice /kind /good /generous /polite /stupid /silly etc. OF somebody (to do something)

√
Thank you. It was very kind of you to help me.
It is stupid of me to go out without a coat in such cold weather.

√
but
(be) nice /kind /good /generous /polite /rude /friendly /cruel etc. TO somebody

√
They have always been very nice to me. (not with me)
Why were you so unfriendly to Lucy?

√
B
Adjective+ about /with

√
There's no point in getting angry about things that don't matter.
Are you annoyed with me for being late?
Lisa is upset about not being invited to the party.

√

√

excited / worried /nervous /happy etc. ABOUT a situation

√
Are you nervous about the exam?

pleased / satisfied /happy /delighted /disappointed WITH something you receive, or the result of something

√
They were delighted with the present I gave them.
Were you happy with your exam results?

√
C
Adjective+ at /by /with /of
surprised /shocked /amazed /astonished /upset AT or BY something

√
Everybody was surprised at (or by) the news.
I hope you weren't shocked by (or at) what I said.

√

impressed WITH or BY somebody/something

√
I'm very impressed with (or by) her English. It's very good .

fed up /bored WITH something

√
I don't enjoy my job any more. I'm fed up with it. /I'm bored with it.

tired /sick OF something

√
Come on, let's go! I'm tired of waiting. /I'm sick of waiting.
D
Sorry about /for
sorry ABOUT a situation or something that happened

√
I'm sorry about the mess. I'll dear it up later.
Sorry about last night. (=Sorry about something that happened last night)

√

sorry FOR or ABOUT something you did

√
Alex is very sorry for what he said. (or sorry about what he said)
I'm sorry for shouting at you yesterday. (or sorry about shouting)

√

You can also say 'I'm sorry I (did something)':

√
I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday.

feel /be sorry FOR somebody who is in a bad situation

√
I feel sorry for Matt. He's had a lot of bad luck. (not I feel sorry about Matt)



EXERCISES

130.1
Complete the sentences using nice of ... , kind of ... etc.

130.2
Complete the sentences using these adjectives+ a preposition:

amazed
angry
bored
careless
excited
impressed
kind
nervous

1
Are you _____ nervous about ______the exam?
2
Thank you for all you've done. You've been very _______ me.
What have I done wrong? Why are you _______ me?
You must be very _______ your trip next week. It sounds really great.
3
4
5
I wasn't _______ the service in the restaurant. We had to wait ages before our food arrived.
6
Ben isn't very happy at college. He says he's _______ the course he's doing.
I'd never seen so many people before. I was _______the crowds.
It was _______ you to leave the door unlocked when you went out.
7
8
130.3
Put in the correct preposition.

1
They were delighted ____ with _____ the present I gave them.
2
It was nice _________ you to come and see me when I was ill.
Why are you so rude _________ people? Why can't you be more polite?
We always have the same food every day. I'm fed up _________ it.
We enjoyed our holiday, but we were a bit disappointed _________ the hotel.
I can't understand people who are cruel _________ animals.
3
4
5
6
7
I was surprised _________ the way he behaved. It was completely out of character.
I've been trying to learn Spanish, but I'm not very satisfied _________ my progress.
Tanya doesn't look very well. I'm worried _________ her.
They told me they were sorry _________ the situation, but there was nothing they could do.
I wouldn't like to be in her position. I feel sorry _________ her.
8
9
10
11
12
Are you still upset _________ what I said to you yesterday?
Some people say Kate is unfriendly, but she's always been very nice _________ me.
I'm tired _________ doing the same thing every day. I need a change.
The man we interviewed for the job was intelligent and we were impressed _________ the way he answered our questions.
13
14
15
16
I'm sorry _________ the smell of paint in this room. I've just finished redecorating it.
I was shocked _________ what I saw. I'd never seen anything like it before.
Our neighbours were very angry _________ the noise we made.
Our neighbours were furious _________ us _________ making so much noise.
I'm sorry _________ what I did. I hope you're not angry _________ me.
17
18
19
20







ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments