Tuesday 17 March 2020

UNIT 130. Adjective + preposition ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


UNIT 130. Adjective + preposition

A
It was nice of you to ...
nice /kind /good /generous /polite /stupid /silly etc. OF somebody (to do something)

Thank you. It was very kind of you to help me.
It is stupid of me to go out without a coat in such cold weather.

but
(be) nice /kind /good /generous /polite /rude /friendly /cruel etc. TO somebody

They have always been very nice to me. (not with me)
Why were you so unfriendly to Lucy?

B
Adjective+ about /with

There's no point in getting angry about things that don't matter.
Are you annoyed with me for being late?
Lisa is upset about not being invited to the party.



excited / worried /nervous /happy etc. ABOUT a situation

Are you nervous about the exam?

pleased / satisfied /happy /delighted /disappointed WITH something you receive, or the result of something

They were delighted with the present I gave them.
Were you happy with your exam results?

C
Adjective+ at /by /with /of
surprised /shocked /amazed /astonished /upset AT or BY something

Everybody was surprised at (or by) the news.
I hope you weren't shocked by (or at) what I said.


impressed WITH or BY somebody/something

I'm very impressed with (or by) her English. It's very good .

fed up /bored WITH something

I don't enjoy my job any more. I'm fed up with it. /I'm bored with it.

tired /sick OF something

Come on, let's go! I'm tired of waiting. /I'm sick of waiting.
D
Sorry about /for
sorry ABOUT a situation or something that happened

I'm sorry about the mess. I'll dear it up later.
Sorry about last night. (=Sorry about something that happened last night)


sorry FOR or ABOUT something you did

Alex is very sorry for what he said. (or sorry about what he said)
I'm sorry for shouting at you yesterday. (or sorry about shouting)


You can also say 'I'm sorry I (did something)':

I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday.

feel /be sorry FOR somebody who is in a bad situation

I feel sorry for Matt. He's had a lot of bad luck. (not I feel sorry about Matt)



EXERCISES

130.1
Complete the sentences using nice of ... , kind of ... etc.

130.2
Complete the sentences using these adjectives+ a preposition:

amazed
angry
bored
careless
excited
impressed
kind
nervous

1
Are you _____ nervous about ______the exam?
2
Thank you for all you've done. You've been very _______ me.
What have I done wrong? Why are you _______ me?
You must be very _______ your trip next week. It sounds really great.
3
4
5
I wasn't _______ the service in the restaurant. We had to wait ages before our food arrived.
6
Ben isn't very happy at college. He says he's _______ the course he's doing.
I'd never seen so many people before. I was _______the crowds.
It was _______ you to leave the door unlocked when you went out.
7
8
130.3
Put in the correct preposition.

1
They were delighted ____ with _____ the present I gave them.
2
It was nice _________ you to come and see me when I was ill.
Why are you so rude _________ people? Why can't you be more polite?
We always have the same food every day. I'm fed up _________ it.
We enjoyed our holiday, but we were a bit disappointed _________ the hotel.
I can't understand people who are cruel _________ animals.
3
4
5
6
7
I was surprised _________ the way he behaved. It was completely out of character.
I've been trying to learn Spanish, but I'm not very satisfied _________ my progress.
Tanya doesn't look very well. I'm worried _________ her.
They told me they were sorry _________ the situation, but there was nothing they could do.
I wouldn't like to be in her position. I feel sorry _________ her.
8
9
10
11
12
Are you still upset _________ what I said to you yesterday?
Some people say Kate is unfriendly, but she's always been very nice _________ me.
I'm tired _________ doing the same thing every day. I need a change.
The man we interviewed for the job was intelligent and we were impressed _________ the way he answered our questions.
13
14
15
16
I'm sorry _________ the smell of paint in this room. I've just finished redecorating it.
I was shocked _________ what I saw. I'd never seen anything like it before.
Our neighbours were very angry _________ the noise we made.
Our neighbours were furious _________ us _________ making so much noise.
I'm sorry _________ what I did. I hope you're not angry _________ me.
17
18
19
20







ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments