Monday 16 March 2020

UNIT 119. For, during and while ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 119. For, during and while

A
For and during

We use for+ a period of time to say how long something goes on:

for two hours
for a week
for ages

We watched TV for two hours last night.
Jess is going away for a week in September.
Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for ages.
Are you going away for the weekend?




We use during+ noun to say when something happens (not how long):

during the movie
during our holiday
during the night

I fell asleep during the movie.
We met some really nice people during our holiday.
The ground is wet. lt must have rained during the night.



With 'time words, (for example: the morning /the afternoon /the summer), you can usually say in or during:

It must have rained in the night.          or ... during the night.
I’ll phone you sometime during the afternoon.        or ... in the afternoon.


You cannot use during to say how long something goes on:

It rained for three days without stopping. (not during three days)

Compare during and for:

I fell asleep during the movie. I was asleep for half an hour.
B
During and while
Compare:
We use during+ noun:

We met a lot of interesting people during our holiday.
Robert suddenly began to feel ill during the exam.
We use while+ subject+ verb:

We met a lot of interesting people while we were on holiday.
Robert suddenly began to feel ill while he was doing the exam.

Some more examples of while:

We saw Clare while we were waiting for the bus.
While you were out, there was a phone call for you.
Alex read a book while I watched TV.


When you are talking about the future, use the present (not will) after while:

I’m going to Singapore next week. I hope to see some friends of mine while I'm there.(not while I will be there)

What are you going to do while you're waiting? (not while you’ll be waiting)







EXERCISES

119.1
Put in for or during.

1
It rained ____for ____ three days without stopping.
I fell asleep ____ during ____the movie.
2
3
I went to the theatre last night. I met Sue _____________ the interval.
Martin hasn’t lived in Britain all his life. He lived in Brazil _____________ four years.
Production at the factory was seriously affected _____________.the strike.
I felt really ill last week. I could hardly eat anything _____________ three days.
4
5
6
7
I waited for you _____________ half an hour and decided that you weren’t coming.
Sarah was very angry with me. She didn’t speak to me _____________ a week.
We usually go out at weekends I but we don’t go out _____________ the week very often.
Jack started a new job a few weeks ago. Before that he was out of work _____________ six months.
8
9
10
11
I need a break. I think I’ll go away __________ a few days.
The president gave a long speech. She spoke __________  two hours.
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat __________ the journey.
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat __________ eight hours.
12
13
14
119.2
Put in during or while.

1
We met a lot of interesting people ____ while _____ we were on holiday.
We met a lot of interesting people _____ during _______ our holiday.
2
3
I met Mike _________________ I was shopping.
_________________ I was on holiday~ I didn’t read any newspapers or watch TV.
_________________ our stay in Paris I we went to a lot of museums and galleries.
My phone rang _________________ we were having dinner.
There was a lot of noise _________________ the night. What was it?
4
5
6
7
8
I’d been away for many years. _________________ that time I many things had changed.
What did they say about me _________________ I was out of the room?
I went out for dinner last night. Unfortunately I began to feel ill _________________ the meal and had to go home.
9
10
11
Please don’t interrupt me _________________ I’m speaking.
There were many interruptions _________________ the president’s speech.
Can you hold my bag _________________  I try on this jacket?
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat _________________ we were travelling.
12
13
14
119.3
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.

1
I fell asleep while _______ I was watching TV. ___________
2
I fell asleep during _____ the movie .__________________
3
Nobody came to see me while ___________________
Can you wait for me while ___________________
Most of the students looked bored during ___________________
I was asked a lot of questions during ___________________
Don’t open the car door while ___________________
The lights suddenly went out while ___________________
It started to rain during ___________________
It started to rain while ___________________
What are you going to do while .
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments