Monday, 16 March 2020

UNIT 119. For, during and while ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 119. For, during and while

A
For and during

We use for+ a period of time to say how long something goes on:

for two hours
for a week
for ages

√
We watched TV for two hours last night.
Jess is going away for a week in September.
Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for ages.
Are you going away for the weekend?

√

√

√

We use during+ noun to say when something happens (not how long):

during the movie
during our holiday
during the night

√
I fell asleep during the movie.
We met some really nice people during our holiday.
The ground is wet. lt must have rained during the night.

√

√

With 'time words, (for example: the morning /the afternoon /the summer), you can usually say in or during:

√
It must have rained in the night.          or ... during the night.
I’ll phone you sometime during the afternoon.        or ... in the afternoon.

√

You cannot use during to say how long something goes on:

√
It rained for three days without stopping. (not during three days)

Compare during and for:

√
I fell asleep during the movie. I was asleep for half an hour.
B
During and while
Compare:
We use during+ noun:

√
√
We met a lot of interesting people during our holiday.
√
Robert suddenly began to feel ill during the exam.
We use while+ subject+ verb:

√
√
We met a lot of interesting people while we were on holiday.
√
Robert suddenly began to feel ill while he was doing the exam.

Some more examples of while:

√
We saw Clare while we were waiting for the bus.
While you were out, there was a phone call for you.
Alex read a book while I watched TV.

√

√
When you are talking about the future, use the present (not will) after while:

√
I’m going to Singapore next week. I hope to see some friends of mine while I'm there.(not while I will be there)

√
What are you going to do while you're waiting? (not while you’ll be waiting)







EXERCISES

119.1
Put in for or during.

1
It rained ____for ____ three days without stopping.
I fell asleep ____ during ____the movie.
2
3
I went to the theatre last night. I met Sue _____________ the interval.
Martin hasn’t lived in Britain all his life. He lived in Brazil _____________ four years.
Production at the factory was seriously affected _____________.the strike.
I felt really ill last week. I could hardly eat anything _____________ three days.
4
5
6
7
I waited for you _____________ half an hour and decided that you weren’t coming.
Sarah was very angry with me. She didn’t speak to me _____________ a week.
We usually go out at weekends I but we don’t go out _____________ the week very often.
Jack started a new job a few weeks ago. Before that he was out of work _____________ six months.
8
9
10
11
I need a break. I think I’ll go away __________ a few days.
The president gave a long speech. She spoke __________  two hours.
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat __________ the journey.
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat __________ eight hours.
12
13
14
119.2
Put in during or while.

1
We met a lot of interesting people ____ while _____ we were on holiday.
We met a lot of interesting people _____ during _______ our holiday.
2
3
I met Mike _________________ I was shopping.
_________________ I was on holiday~ I didn’t read any newspapers or watch TV.
_________________ our stay in Paris I we went to a lot of museums and galleries.
My phone rang _________________ we were having dinner.
There was a lot of noise _________________ the night. What was it?
4
5
6
7
8
I’d been away for many years. _________________ that time I many things had changed.
What did they say about me _________________ I was out of the room?
I went out for dinner last night. Unfortunately I began to feel ill _________________ the meal and had to go home.
9
10
11
Please don’t interrupt me _________________ I’m speaking.
There were many interruptions _________________ the president’s speech.
Can you hold my bag _________________  I try on this jacket?
We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn’t had anything to eat _________________ we were travelling.
12
13
14
119.3
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.

1
I fell asleep while _______ I was watching TV. ___________
2
I fell asleep during _____ the movie .__________________
3
Nobody came to see me while ___________________
Can you wait for me while ___________________
Most of the students looked bored during ___________________
I was asked a lot of questions during ___________________
Don’t open the car door while ___________________
The lights suddenly went out while ___________________
It started to rain during ___________________
It started to rain while ___________________
What are you going to do while .
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments