Thursday 19 March 2020

UNIT 143. Phrasal verbs 7 up (1) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 143. Phrasal verbs 7  up (1)

A

go up /come up /walk up (to ...) =approach

A man came up to me in the street and asked me for money.

catch up (with somebody), catch somebody up =move faster than somebody in front of you so that you reach them

I'm not ready to go yet. You go on and I'll catch up with you /I'll catch you up.

keep up (with somebody) =continue at the same speed or level

You're walking too fast. I can't keep up (with you).
You're doing well. Keep it up!

B

set up an organisation, a company, a business, a system, a website etc. =start it

The government has set up a committee to investigate the problem.

take up a hobby, a sport, an activity etc. =start doing it

Laura took up photography a few years ago. She takes really good pictures.

fix up a meeting etc. =arrange it

We've fixed up a meeting for next Monday.
C

grow up =become an adult

Ann was born in Hong Kong but grew up in Australia.

bring up a child =raise, look after a child

Her parents died when she was a child and she was brought up by her grandparents.
D

clean up /clear up /tidy up something =make it clean, tidy etc.

Look at this mess! Who's going to tidy up? (or tidy it up)

wash up = wash the plates, dishes etc. after a meal

I hate washing up. (or I hate doing the washing-up.)
E

end up somewhere, end up doing something etc.

There was a fight in the street and three men ended up in hospital. (= that’s what happened to these men in the end)

I couldn't find a hotel and ended up sleeping on a bench at the station. (=that's what happened to me in the end)

give up = stop trying, give something up = stop doing it

Don't give up. Keep trying!
Sue got bored with her job and decided to give it up. (= stop doing it)


make up something, be made up of something

Children under 16 make up half the population of the city. (= half the population are children under 16)

Air is made up mainly of nitrogen and oxygen. (=Air consists of ...)

take up space or time =use space or time

Most of the space in the room was taken up by a large table.

turn up /show up =arrive, appear

We arranged to meet David last night, but he didn't turn up.

use something up =use all of it so that nothing is left

I'm going to make some soup. We have a lot of vegetables and I want to use them up.



EXERCISES

143.1
Look at the pictures and complete the sentences. Use three words each time, including a verb from Section A.

143.2
Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs (in the correct form) + up:

end
end
give
give
grow
make
take
take
turn
use
wash


1
I couldn't find a hotel and _____ ended up _____ sleeping on a bench at the station.
2
I'm feeling very tired now. I've ______________ all my energy.
After dinner I ______________ and put the dishes away.
People often ask children what they want to be when they ______________.
We invited Tom to the party, but he didn't ______________.
Two years ago James ______________ his studies to be a professional footballer.
3
4
5
6
7
A: Do you do any sports?
B: Not at the moment, but I'm thinking of ______________ tennis.
8
You don't have enough determination. You ______________ too easily.
Karen travelled a lot for a few years and ______________ in Canada, where she still lives.
I do a lot of gardening. It ______________ most of my free time.
There are two universities in the city, and students ______________ 20 per cent of the population.
9
10
11
143.3
Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs+ up (with any other necessary words):

bring
catch
fix
give
go
keep
keep
make
set
tidy

1
Sue got bored with her job and decided to ____ give it up _______.
2
I'm not ready yet. You go on and I'll ____ catch up with _____ you.
3
The room is in a mess. I'd better _________________.
We expect to go away on holiday sometime in July, but we haven't _________________yet.
Stephen is having problems at school. He can't _________________the rest of the class.
Although I _________________in the country, I have always preferred cities.
Our team started the game well, but we couldn't _________________and in the end we lost.
4
5
6
7
8
I saw Mike at the party, so I _________________ him and said hello.
9
When I was on holiday, I joined a tour group. The group _________________ two Americans, three Germans, five Italians and myself.
10
Helen has her own internet website. A friend of hers helped her to _________________.







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments