Sunday 15 March 2020

UNIT 118. Like/ as if/ as though ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 118. Like/ as if/ as though

A
You can use like to say how somebody or something looks/sounds/feels:

That house looks like it's going to fall down.
Helen sounded like she had a cold, didn't she?
I've just got back from holiday, but I feel very tired. I don't feel like I've had a holiday.


You can also use as if or as though in all these examples

That house looks as if it's going to fall down.
Helen sounded as if she had a cold, didn't she?
I don't feel as though I've had a holiday.



Compare:

You look tired. (look+ adjective)
You look like you haven't slept. (look like+ subject+ verb)

As if and as though are more formal than like.
B

You can say It looks like ... / It sounds like ... :

Sarah is very late, isn't she? It looks like she isn't coming.
We took an umbrella because it looked like it was going to rain.
The noise is very loud next door. It sounds like they're having a party.


You can also use as if or as though:

It looks as if she isn't coming. or
It looks as though she isn't coming.

It looked as if it was going to rain.
It sounds as though they're having a party.

C

You can use like /as if /as though with other verbs to say how somebody does something:

He ran like he was running for his life.
After the interruption, the speaker went on talking as if nothing had happened.
When I told them my plan, they looked at me as though I was mad.


D

After as if (or as though), we sometimes use the past when we are talking about the present.
For example:

I don't like Tim. He talks as if he knew everything.

The meaning is not past in this sentence. We use the past (as if he knew) because the idea is not real: Tim does not know everything. We use the past in the same way in other sentences with if and wish (see Unit 39).
like is not normally used in this way.
Some more examples:

She's always asking me to do things for her as if I didn't have enough to do already. (I do have enough to do)

Gary's only 40. Why do you talk about him as if he was an old man? (he isn't an old man)

When you use the past in this way, you can use were instead of was:

Why do you talk about him as if he were (or was) an old man?
They treat me as if I were (or was) their own son. (I'm not their son)




EXERCISES

118.1
What do you say in these situations? Use the words in brackets to make your sentence.

1
You meet Bill. He has a black eye and some plasters on his face. (look /like /be /a fight)
You say to him: ____You look like you’ve been in a fight. ______________________
2
Claire comes into the room. She looks absolutely terrified. (look /like /see /a ghost)
You say to her: What's the matter? You ________________________________________.
3
Joe is on holiday. He's talking to you on the phone and sounds happy. (sound /as if /have /a good time)
You say to him: You ________________________________________.
4
You have just run one kilometre. You are absolutely exhausted. (feel /like /run /a marathon)
You say to a friend : I ________________________________________.
118.2
Make sentences beginning It looks like ... /It sounds like ....
you should see a doctor
it’s going to rain
there’s been an accident
she isn’t coming
they’re having an argument
we’ll have to walk

1
Sarah said she would be here an hour ago.
You say: ____ It looks like she isn’t coming. ___________________
2
The sky is full of black clouds.
You say: It ___________________________________
3
You hear two people shouting at each other next door.
You say: ___________________________________
4
You see an ambulance, some policemen and two damaged cars at the side of the road.
You say: ___________________________________
5
You and a friend have just missed the last bus home.
You say: ___________________________________
6
Dave isn't feeling well. He tells you all about it.
You say: ___________________________________
118.3
Complete the sentences with as if. Choose from the box, putting the verbs in the correct form.


1
Mark looks very tired. He looks ____ as if he needs a good rest. ___________________
2
I don't think Paul was joking. He looked _____________________________.
What's the matter with Amanda? She's walking _____________________________.
Peter was extremely hungry and ate his dinner very quickly.
He ate _____________________________.
3
4
5
Tanya had a bored expression on her face during the movie.
She didn't look _________________________________.
6
I've just eaten too many chocolates. Now I don't feel well.
I feel _________________________________.
7
I phoned Liz and invited her to the party, but she wasn't very enthusiastic about it.
She sounded _________________________________.
8
I went into the office, but nobody spoke to me or looked at me.
Everybody ignored me _________________________________.
118.4
These sentences are like the ones in Section D. Complete each sentence using as if.

1
Andy is a terrible driver. He drives _____ as if he were _____ the only driver on the road.
I'm 20 years old, so please don't talk to me ___________ I ___________ a child.
Steve has never met Nicola, but he talks about her ___________ his best friend.
It was a long time ago that we first met, but I remember it ___________ yesterday
2
3
4



ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments