Wednesday 18 March 2020

UNIT 140. Phrasal verbs 4 on/ off (1) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 140. Phrasal verbs 4  on/ off (1)

A
On and off for lights, machines etc.
We say:  the light is on /put the light on /leave the light on etc.

turn the light on/off            or                switch the light on/off

Shall I leave the lights on or turn them off?
'Is the heating on?' 'No, I switched it off.'
We need some boiling water, so I'll put the kettle on.



Also put on some music / a CD etc.

I haven't listened to this CD yet. Shall I put it on? (=shall I play it)
B
On and off for events etc.
go on = happen

What's all that noise? What's going on? (=what's happening)

call something off =cancel it

The open air concert had to be called off because of the weather.

put something off, put off doing something =delay it

The wedding has been put off until January.
We can't put off making a decision. We have to decide now.

C
On and off for clothes etc.
put on clothes, glasses, make-up, a seat belt etc.

My hands were cold, so I put my gloves on.

Also put on weight =get heavier

I've put on two kilograms in the last month.

try on clothes (to see if they fit)

I tried on a jacket in the shop, but it didn't fit me very well.

take off clothes, glasses etc.

It was warm, so I took off my jacket.
D

Off = away from a person or place
be off (to a place)

Tomorrow I'm off to Paris /I'm off on holiday.
(=I'm going to Paris I I'm going on holiday)

walk off /run off /drive off /ride off /go off (similar to walk away /run away etc.)

Diane got on her bike and rode off.
Mark left home at the age of 18 and went off to Canada.


set off = start a journey

We set off very early to avoid the traffic. (= We left early)

take off =leave the ground (for planes)

After a long delay the plane finally took off.

see somebody off =go with them to the airport/station to say goodbye

Helen was going away. We went to the station with her to see her off.





EXERCISES

140.1
Complete the sentences using put on + the following:

a CD
the heating
the kettle
the light
the  oven

1
It was getting dark, so I _____ put the light on. ___________
2
It was getting cold, so I _____________________.
I wanted to bake a cake, so I _____________________.
I wanted to make some tea, so I _____________________.
I wanted to listen to some music, so I _____________________.
3
4
5
140.2
Complete the sentences. Each time use a verb+ on or off.

1
It was warm, so I _____ took off _____my jacket.
2
What are all these people doing? What’s __________________?
The weather was too bad for the plane to __________________, so the flight was delayed.
I didn't want to be disturbed, so I __________________my phone.
Rachel got into her car and __________________at high speed.
Tim has __________________weight since I last saw him. He used to be quite thin.
3
4
5
6
7
A: What time are you leaving tomorrow?
B: I'm not sure yet, but I'd like to __________________as early as possible.
8
Don't __________________until tomorrow what you can do today.
9
There was going to be a strike by bus drivers, but now they have been offered more money and the strike has been __________________.
10
Are you cold? Shall I get you a sweater to __________________?
When I go away, I prefer to be alone at the station or airport. I don't like it when people come to __________________me __________________.
11
140.3
Look at the pictures and complete the sentences








ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments