Friday 20 March 2020

Additional exercises Modal verbs (can/ must/ would etc.) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
Additional exercises
Modal verbs (can/ must/ would etc.)

16
Which alternatives are correct? Sometimes only one alternative is correct, and sometimes two of the alternatives are possible.

1
'What time will you be home tonight?' 'I'm not sure. I _____________ late.'
A
may be
B
might be
C
can be  (both A and B are correct)
2
I can't find the theatre tickets. They _____________ out of my pocket.
A
must have fallen
B
should have fallen
C
had to fall
3
Somebody ran in front of the car as I was driving. Fortunately I _____________ just in time.
A
could stop
B
could have stopped
C
managed to stop
4
We've got plenty of time. We _____________ yet.
A
mustn’t leave
B
needn’t leave
C
don’t need to leave
5
I _____________ out but I didn't feel like it, so I stayed at home.
A
could go
B
could have gone
C
must have gone
6
I'm sorry I _____________ come to your party last week.
A
couldn’t come
B
couldn’t have come
C
wasn’t able to come
7
'What do you think of my theory?' 'I'm not sure. You _____________ right.'
A
could be
B
must be
C
might be
8
I couldn't wait for you any longer. I _____________, and so I went.
A
must go
B
must have gone
C
had to go
9
'Do you know where Sarah is?' 'No. I suppose she _____________ shopping.'
A
should have gone
B
may have gone
C
could have gone
10
At first they didn't believe me when I told them what had happened, but in the end I _____________ them that I was telling the truth.
A
was able to convince
B
managed to convince
C
could convince
11
I promised I'd call Gary this evening. 1 _____________.
A
mustn’t forget
B
needn’t forget
C
don’t have to forget
12
Why did you leave without me? You _____________ for me.
A
must have waited
B
had to wait
C
should have waited
13
Lisa called me and suggested _____________ lunch together.
A
we have
B
we should have
C
to have
14
You look nice in that jacket, but you hardly ever wear it. _____________ it more often.
A
You’d better wear
B
You should wear
C
You ought to wear
15
Shall I buy a car? What's your advice? What _____________?
A
will you do
B
would you do
C
shall you do
17
Complete the sentences using the words in brackets.

1
Don't phone them now.
They _______ might be having _____ lunch. (might /have)
2
I've eaten too much. Now I feel sick.
I ____________ so much. (shouldn't /eat)
3
I wonder why Tom didn't phone me.
He ____________. (must /forget)
4
Why did you go home so early?
You ____________ home so early. (needn't /go)
5
You've signed the contract.
It ____________ now. (can't /change)
6
'What's Linda doing?' 'I'm not sure.'
She ____________ TV. (may /watch)
7
Laura was standing outside the cinema.
She ____________ for somebody. (must /wait)
8
He was in prison at the time that the crime was committed.
He ____________ it. (couldn't /do)
9
Why weren't you here earlier?
You ____________ here earlier. (ought / be)
10
Why didn't you ask me to help you?
I ____________ you. (would /help)
11
I'm surprised you weren't told that the road was dangerous.
You ____________ about it. (should /warn)
12
Gary was in a strange mood yesterday.
He ____________ very well. (might not /feel)
18
Complete B's sentences using can/could/might/must/should/would +the verb in brackets. In some sentences you need to use have: must have ... /should have ... etc. In some sentences you need the negative (can't/couldn't etc.).

1
A: I'm hungry.
B: But you've just had lunch. You _____ can’t be ______ hungry already. (be)
2
A: I haven't seen our neighbours for ages.
B: No. They _____ must have gone ____ away. (go)
3
A: What's the weather like? Is it raining?
B: Not at the moment, but it _________________ later. (rain)
4
A: Where's Julia?
B: I'm not sure. She _________________ out. (go)
5
A: I didn't see you at Michael's party last week.
B: No, I had to work that night, so I _________________. (go)
6
A: I think I saw you at Michael's party last week.
B: No, you _________________ me. I didn't go to Michael's party. (see)
7
A: What time will we get to Sue's house?
B: Well, it takes about one and a half hours, so if we leave at 3 o'clock, we _________________ there by 4.30. (get)
8
A: When was the last time you saw Bill?
B: Years ago. I _________________ him if I saw him now. (recognise)
9
A: Did you hear the explosion?
B: What explosion?
A: There was a loud explosion about an hour ago. You _________________ it. (hear)
10
A: We weren't sure which way to go. In the end we turned right.
B: You went the wrong way. You _________________ left. (turn)







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments