Monday, 16 March 2020

UNIT 124. In/ at/ on (position) 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 124. In/ at/ on (position) 2

A
We say that somebody/something is:
in a line/ in a row/ in a queue
in the sky/ in the world
in an office/ in a department
in bed
in the country/ in the countryside
in a picture/ in a photo/ in a photograph
in a book / in a paper (= newspaper) /in a magazine /in a Letter

√
When I go to the cinema, I like to sit in the front row.
James isn't up yet. He's still in bed.
It was a lovely day. There wasn't a cloud in the sky.
I've just started working in the sales department.
Who is the woman in that photo?
Have you seen this picture in today's paper?

√

√

√

√

√
B

on the left/ on the right
on the ground floor/ on the first floor/ on the second floor etc.
on the left-hand side/ on the right-hand side
on a map/ on a menu/ on a list
on a farm

√
In Britain we drive on the left.        or ... on the left-hand side.
Our apartment is on the second floor of the building.
Here's a shopping list. Don't buy anything that’s not on the list.
Have you ever worked on a farm?

√

√

√

We say that a place is on a river /on a road /on the coast:

√
Budapest is on the (river) Danube.
The town where you live - is it on the coast or inland?

√


Also on the way:

√
We stopped to buy some things in a shop on the way home.
C

at the top (of) /at the bottom (of) /at the end (of)

√
Write your name at the top of the page.
Jane's house is at the other end of the street.

√


D

in the front /in the back of a car

√
I was sitting in the back (of the car) when we crashed.

at the front /at the back of a building /theatre /group of people etc.

√
The garden is at the back of the house.
Let’s sit at the front (of the cinema).
We were at the back, so we couldn't see very well.

√

√

on the front /on the back of a letter /piece of paper etc.

√
I wrote the date on the back of the photo.
E

in the corner of a room

√
The TV is in the corner of the room.

at the corner or on the corner of a street

√
There is a small shop at/on the corner of the street.

EXERCISES

124.1
Answer the questions about the pictures. Use in, at or on with the words below the pictures.

1
Where does Sue work? ____ In the sales department. ________________
2
Sue lives in this building. Where's her flat exactly? ____________________________.
Where is the woman standing? ____________________________.
Where is the man standing? ____________________________.
Where's the cat? ____________________________.
3
4
5
6
Where's the dog? ____________________________.
Liz is in this group of people. Where is she? ____________________________.
Where's the post office? ____________________________.
Gary is at the cinema. Where is he sitting? ____________________________.
Where does Kate work? ____________________________.
7
8
9
10
124.2
Complete the sentences. Use in, at or on +the following:

the west coast
the front row
the world
the right
the back of the class
the back of this card
the sky
the way to work

1
It was a lovely day. There wasn't a cloud _____ in the sky. __________
2
In most countries people drive __________________.
What is the tallest building __________________?
I usually buy a newspaper __________________ in the morning.
San Francisco is __________________of the United States.
3
4
5
6
We went to the theatre last night. We had seats __________________.
I couldn't hear the teacher. She spoke quietly and I was sitting __________________.
I don't have your address. Could you write it __________________?
7
8
124.3
Complete the sentences with in, at or on.

1
Write your name ____ at _____  the top of the page.
2
Is your sister ___________ this photograph? I don't recognise her.
I didn't feel very well when I woke up, so I stayed ___________ bed.
We normally use the front entrance to the building, but there's another one ___________ the back.
Is there anything interesting ___________ the paper today?
There was a list of names, but my name wasn't ___________ the list.
3
4

5
6
7
___________ the end of the street, there is a path leading to the river.
I love to look up at the stars ___________ the sky at night.
When I'm a passenger in a car, I prefer to sit ___________ the front.
I live in a very small village. You probably won't find it ___________ your map.
Joe works ___________ the furniture department of a large store.
8
9
10
11
12
Paris is ___________ the river Seine.
I don't like cities. I'd much prefer to live ___________ the country.
My office is ___________ the top floor. It's ___________ the left as you come out of the lift.
13
14





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments