Thursday, 19 March 2020

UNIT 141. Phrasal verbs 5 on/ off (2) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 141. Phrasal verbs 5  on/ off (2)

A
Verb+ on= continue doing something
drive on /walk on /play on = continue driving/walking/playing etc.

√
Shall we stop at this petrol station or shall we drive on to the next one?

go on =continue

√
The party went on until4 o'clock in the morning.

go on /carry on doing something =continue doing something

√
We can't go on spending money like this. We'll have nothing left soon.
I don't want to carry on working here. I'm going to look for another job

√

Also go on with /carry on with something

√
Don't let me disturb you. Please carry on with what you're doing.

keep on doing something =do it continuously or repeatedly

√
He keeps on criticising me. I'm fed up with it!
B
Get on
get on = progress

√
How are you getting on in your new job? (=How is it going?)

get on (with somebody) =have a good relationship

√
Joanne and Karen don't get on. They're always arguing.
Richard gets on well with his neighbours. They're all very friendly.

√

get on with something =continue doing something you have to do, usually after an interruption

√
I must get on with my work. I have a lot to do.
C
Verb+ off
doze off /drop off /nod off =fall asleep

√
The lecture wasn't very interesting. In fact I dozed off in the middle of it.

finish something off =do the last part of something

√
A: Have you finished painting the kitchen?
B: Nearly. I'll finish it off tomorrow.

go off =explode

√
A bomb went off in the city centre, but fortunately nobody was hurt.

Also an alarm can go off =ring

√
Did you hear the alarm go off?

put somebody off (doing something) =cause somebody not to want something or to do something

√
We wanted to go to the exhibition, but we were put off by the long queue.
What put you off applying for the job? Was the salary too low?

√

rip somebody off = cheat somebody (informal)

√
Did you really pay £2,000 for that painting? I think you were ripped off.
(=you paid too much)

show off =try to impress people with your ability, your knowledge etc.

√
Look at that boy on the bike riding with no hands. He's just showing off.

tell somebody off =speak angrily to somebody because they did something wrong

√
Clare's mother told her off for wearing dirty shoes in the house.







EXERCISES

141.1
Change the underlined words. Keep the same meaning, but use a verb+ on or off.

1
Did you hear the bomb explode?
Did you hear the bomb ____ go off ______?
2
The meeting continued longer than I expected.
The meeting _______________________ longer than I expected.
3
We didn't stop to rest. We continued walking.
We didn't stop to rest. We _______________________.
4
I fell asleep while I was watching TV.
I _______________________ while I was watching TV.
5
Gary doesn't want to retire. He wants to continue working.
Gary doesn't want to retire. He wants to _______________________ working.
6
The fire alarm rang in the middle of the night.
The fire alarm _______________________ in the middle of the night.
7
Martin phones me continuously. It's very annoying.
Martin_______________________. It's very annoying.
141.2
Complete each sentence using a verb + on or off.

1
We can't ____ go on ______ spending money like this. We'll have nothing left soon.
2
.I was standing by the car when suddenly the alarm ________________.
I’m not ready to go home yet. I have a few things to ________________.
'Shall I stop the car here?' 'No, ________________.
Bill paid too much for the car he bought. I think he was ________________.
'Is Emma enjoying her course at university?’ 'Yes, she’s ________________very well.'
I was very tired at work today. I nearly ________________at my desk a couple of times.
3
4
5
6
7
8
Ben was ________________by his boss for being late for work repeatedly.
I really like working with my colleagues. We all ________________really well together.
There was a very loud noise. It sounded like a bomb ________________.
I ________________making the same mistake. It's very frustrating.
I've just had a coffee break, and now I must ________________with my work.
Peter is always trying to impress people. He's always ________________.
We decided not to go to the concert. We were ________________by the cost of tickets.
9
10
11
12
13
14
141.3
Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs {in the correct form) +on or off. Sometimes you will need other words as well:

carry
finish
get
get
get
go
rip
tell



1
A: How _____ are you getting on _____ in your new job?
B: Fine, thanks. It's going very well.
2
A: Have you written the letter you had to write?
B: I've started it. I'll _________________ in the morning.
3
A: We took a taxi to the airport. lt cost £40.
B: £40! Normally it costs about £20. You _________________.
4
A: Why were you late for work this morning?
B: I overslept. My alarm dock didn't _________________.
5
A: How _________________ in your interview? Do you think you'll get the job?
B: I hope so. The interview was OK.
6
A: Did you stop playing tennis when it started to rain?
B: No, we _________________. The rain wasn't very heavy.
7
A: Some children at the next table in the restaurant were behaving very badly.
B: Why didn't their parents _________________?
8
A: Why does Paul want to leave his job?
B: He _________________ his boss.







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments