Thursday 19 March 2020

UNIT 142. Phrasal verbs 6 up/ down ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 142. Phrasal verbs 6  up/ down

A
Compare up and down:

put something up (on a wall etc.)
I put a picture up on the wall.

pick something up
There was a letter on the floor.
I picked it up and looked at it.

stand up
Alan stood up and walked out.

turn something up
I can't hear the TV. Can you turn it up a bit?
take something down (from a wall etc.)
I didn't like the picture, so I took it down

put something down
I stopped writing and put down my pen.

sit down /bend down /lie down
I bent down to tie my shoelace.

turn something down
The oven is too hot. Turn it down to 150 degrees.
B
Knock down, cut down etc.

knock down a building, blow something down, cut something down etc.

Some old houses were knocked down to make way for the new shopping centre.
Why did you cut down the tree in your garden?


be knocked down (by a car etc.)

A man was knocked down by a car and taken to hospital.

burn down = be destroyed by fire

They were able to put out the fi re before the house burnt down.
C
Down = getting less

slow down = go more slowly

You're driving too fast. Slow down.

calm (somebody) down =become calmer, make somebody calmer

Calm down. There's no point in getting angry.

cut down (on something) =eat, drink or do something less often

I'm trying to cut down on coffee. I drink too much of it.
D
Other verbs + down

break down =stop working (for machines, cars, relationships etc.)

The car broke down and I had to phone for help.
Their marriage broke down after only a few months.


close down /shut down =stop doing business

There used to be a shop at the end of the street; it closed down a few years ago.

let somebody down = disappoint them because you didn't do what they hoped

You can always rely on Paul. He'll never let you down.

turn somebody/something down = refuse an application, an offer etc.

I applied for several jobs, but I was turned down for all of them.
Rachel was offered the job, but she decided to turn it down.


write something down = write something on paper because you may need the information L ater

I can't remember Tim's address. I wrote it down, but I can't find it.





EXERCISES

142.1
For each picture, complete the sentences using a verb + up or down. In most sentences you will need other words as well.


1
There used to be a tree next to the house, but we ____ cut it down. ________________
2
There used to be some shelves on the wall, but I _______________.
The ceiling was so low, he couldn't _______________.straight.
She couldn't hear the radio very well, so she _______________.
3
4
5
While they were waiting for the bus, they _______________.on the ground.
A few trees _______________.in the storm last week.
We've got some new curtains, but we haven't _______________yet.
Lisa dropped her keys, so she _______________ and _______________.
6
7
8
142.2
Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs (in the correct form) +down:

calm
let
take
turn
turn
write



1
I don't like this picture on the wall. I'm going to ____ take it down. ________
2
The music is too loud. Can you ____________________?
David was very angry. I tried to ____________________.
Sarah gave me her phone number. I ____________________on a piece of paper.
I promised I would help Anna. I don't want to ____________________.
I was offered the job, but I decided I didn't want it. So I ____________________.
3
4
5
6
142.3
Complete each sentence using a verb (in the correct form) +down.

1
I stopped writing and ______ put down ____ my pen.
2
I was really angry. It took me a long time to _______________.
The train _______________as it approached the station.
Sarah applied to study medicine at university, but she _______________.
Our car is very reliable. It has never _______________.
3
4
5
6
I need to spend less money. I'm going to _______________on things I don't really need.
I didn't play very well. I felt that I had _______________the other players in the team.
The shop _______________because it was losing money.
This is a very ugly building. Many people would like it to _______________.
I can't understand why you _______________the chance of working abroad for a year. It would have been a great experience for you.
7
8
9
10
11
A: Did you see the accident? What happened exactly?
B: A man _______________by a car as he was crossing the road.
12
Peter got married when he was 20, but unfortunately the marriage _______________ a few years later.







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments