Thursday, 19 March 2020

UNIT 142. Phrasal verbs 6 up/ down ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 142. Phrasal verbs 6  up/ down

A
Compare up and down:

put something up (on a wall etc.)
√
I put a picture up on the wall.

pick something up
√
There was a letter on the floor.
I picked it up and looked at it.

stand up
√
Alan stood up and walked out.

turn something up
√
I can't hear the TV. Can you turn it up a bit?
take something down (from a wall etc.)
√
I didn't like the picture, so I took it down

put something down
√
I stopped writing and put down my pen.

sit down /bend down /lie down
√
I bent down to tie my shoelace.

turn something down
√
The oven is too hot. Turn it down to 150 degrees.
B
Knock down, cut down etc.

knock down a building, blow something down, cut something down etc.

√
Some old houses were knocked down to make way for the new shopping centre.
Why did you cut down the tree in your garden?

√

be knocked down (by a car etc.)

√
A man was knocked down by a car and taken to hospital.

burn down = be destroyed by fire

√
They were able to put out the fi re before the house burnt down.
C
Down = getting less

slow down = go more slowly

√
You're driving too fast. Slow down.

calm (somebody) down =become calmer, make somebody calmer

√
Calm down. There's no point in getting angry.

cut down (on something) =eat, drink or do something less often

√
I'm trying to cut down on coffee. I drink too much of it.
D
Other verbs + down

break down =stop working (for machines, cars, relationships etc.)

√
The car broke down and I had to phone for help.
Their marriage broke down after only a few months.

√

close down /shut down =stop doing business

√
There used to be a shop at the end of the street; it closed down a few years ago.

let somebody down = disappoint them because you didn't do what they hoped

√
You can always rely on Paul. He'll never let you down.

turn somebody/something down = refuse an application, an offer etc.

√
I applied for several jobs, but I was turned down for all of them.
Rachel was offered the job, but she decided to turn it down.

√

write something down = write something on paper because you may need the information L ater

√
I can't remember Tim's address. I wrote it down, but I can't find it.





EXERCISES

142.1
For each picture, complete the sentences using a verb + up or down. In most sentences you will need other words as well.


1
There used to be a tree next to the house, but we ____ cut it down. ________________
2
There used to be some shelves on the wall, but I _______________.
The ceiling was so low, he couldn't _______________.straight.
She couldn't hear the radio very well, so she _______________.
3
4
5
While they were waiting for the bus, they _______________.on the ground.
A few trees _______________.in the storm last week.
We've got some new curtains, but we haven't _______________yet.
Lisa dropped her keys, so she _______________ and _______________.
6
7
8
142.2
Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs (in the correct form) +down:

calm
let
take
turn
turn
write



1
I don't like this picture on the wall. I'm going to ____ take it down. ________
2
The music is too loud. Can you ____________________?
David was very angry. I tried to ____________________.
Sarah gave me her phone number. I ____________________on a piece of paper.
I promised I would help Anna. I don't want to ____________________.
I was offered the job, but I decided I didn't want it. So I ____________________.
3
4
5
6
142.3
Complete each sentence using a verb (in the correct form) +down.

1
I stopped writing and ______ put down ____ my pen.
2
I was really angry. It took me a long time to _______________.
The train _______________as it approached the station.
Sarah applied to study medicine at university, but she _______________.
Our car is very reliable. It has never _______________.
3
4
5
6
I need to spend less money. I'm going to _______________on things I don't really need.
I didn't play very well. I felt that I had _______________the other players in the team.
The shop _______________because it was losing money.
This is a very ugly building. Many people would like it to _______________.
I can't understand why you _______________the chance of working abroad for a year. It would have been a great experience for you.
7
8
9
10
11
A: Did you see the accident? What happened exactly?
B: A man _______________by a car as he was crossing the road.
12
Peter got married when he was 20, but unfortunately the marriage _______________ a few years later.







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments