Monday, 16 March 2020

UNIT 125. In/ at/ on (position) 3 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 125. In/ at/ on (position) 3

A
In hospital / at work etc.
We say that somebody is in hospital /in prison /in jail:

√
Anna's mother is in hospital.

We say that somebody is at work /at school /at university /at college:

√
I'll be at work until 5.30.
Julia is studying chemistry at university.

√

We say that somebody is at home or is home (with or without at), but we say do something at home (with at):

√
I'll be at home all evening.        or      I'll be home all evening.
Shall we go to a restaurant or eat at home?

√
B
At a party / at a concert etc.
We say that somebody is at an event (at a party /at a conference etc.):

√
Were there many people at the party /at the meeting /at the wedding?
I saw Steve at a conference /at a concert on Saturday.

√
C
In and at for buildings
You can often use in or at with buildings. For example, you can eat in a restaurant or at a restaurant; you can buy something in a supermarket or at a supermarket. We usually say at when we say where an event takes place (for example: a concert, a film, a party, a meeting):

√
We went to a concert at the National Concert Hall.
The meeting took place at the company's head office in Frankfurt.
There was a robbery at the supermarket.

√

√

We say at the station /at the airport:

√
There's no need to meet me at the station. I can get a taxi.

We say at somebody's house:

√
I was at Helen's house last night.      or     I    was at Helen's last night.
Also at the doctor's / at the hairdresser's etc.
We use in when we are thinking about the building itself. Compare:

√
We had dinner at the hotel.
All the rooms in the hotel have air conditioning. (not at the hotel)

√
I was at Helen's (house) last night.
It's always cold in Helen's house. The heating doesn't work well. (not at Helen's house)
D
In and at for towns etc.
We normally use in with cities, towns and villages:

√
The Louvre is a famous art museum in Paris. (not at Paris)
Sam's parents live in a village in the south of France. (not at a village)

√

We use at when we think of the place as a point or station on a journey:

√
Does this train stop at Oxford? (=at Oxford station)
E
On a bus /in a car etc.
We usually say on a bus /on a train /on a plane /on a ship but in a car /in a taxi:

√
The bus was very full. There were too many people on it.
Laura arrived in a taxi.

√

We say on a bike(= bicycle) /on a motorbike /on a horse:

√
Jane passed me on her bike.

EXERCISES

125.1
Complete the sentences about the pictures. Use in, at or on with the words below the pictures.


1
You can hire a car ______ at the airport_______.
2
Dave is __________________________.
3
Karen is __________________________.
4
Martin is __________________________.
5
Judy is __________________________.
6
I saw Gary __________________________.
7
We spent a few days __________________________.
8
We went to a show __________________________.
125.2
Complete the sentences. Use in, at or on +the following:

the plane
hospital
a taxi
the station
the cinema
Tokyo
school
prison
the airport
the sports centre

1
My train arrives at 11.30. Can you meet me ____ at the station_____?
2
We walked to the restaurant, but we went home _________________.
I'd like to see a film. What's on _________________this week?
Some people are _________________for crimes that they did not commit.
'What does your sister do? Does she have a job?' 'No, she's still _________________.
3
4
5
6
I play basketball ________________ on Friday evenings.
A friend of mine was injured in an accident a few days ago. She's still ________________ .
Our flight was delayed. We had to wait ________________ for four hours.
I enjoyed the flight, but the food ________________ wasn't very nice.
10 Vicky has gone to Japan. She's living ________________.
7
8
9
10
125.3
Complete these sentences with in, at or on.

1
We went to a concert ____ at _____ the National Concert Hall.
2
It was a very slow train. It stopped ________ every station.
My parents live ________ a small village about 50 miles from London.
I haven't seen Kate for some time. I last saw her ________ David's wedding.
We stayed ________ a very comfortable hotel when we were ________ Amsterdam.
There were about fifty rooms ________ the hotel.
3
4
5
6
7
I don't know where my umbrella is. Perhaps I left it ________ the bus.
'Where were you on Monday evening?' 'I was ________  a friend's house.'
There must be somebody ________ the house. The lights are on.
The exhibition ________ the Museum of Modern Art finishes on Saturday.
Shall we travel ________ your car or mine?
I didn't expect you to be ________ home. I thought you'd be ________ work.
8
9
10
11
12
13
‘Did you like the movie?' 'Yes, but it was too hot ________ the cinema.’
Paul lives ________ Birmingham. He's a student ________ Birmingham University.
14





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments