Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 133. Verb + preposition 2 about/for/of/after ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 133. Verb + preposition 2     about/for/of/after

A
Verb+ about
Talk /read /know ABOUT ... , tell somebody ABOUT .. .

√
We talked about a lot of things at the meeting.

have a discussion ABOUT something, but discuss something (no preposition)

√
We had a discussion about what we should do.
We discussed a lot of things at the meeting. (not discussed about)

√

do something ABOUT something =do something to improve a bad situation

√
If you're worried about the problem, you should do something about it.
B
Verb+ for
ask (somebody) FOR ...

but
√
I sent an email to the company asking them for more information about the job.
'I asked him the way to ...', 'She asked me my name' (no preposition)

apply (TO a person, a company etc.) FOR a job etc.

√
I think you'd be good at this job. Why don't you apply for it?

wait FOR ...

√
Don't wait for me. I'll join you later.
I'm not going out yet. I'm waiting for the rain to stop.

√

search (a person /a place /a bag etc.) FOR ...

√
I've searched the house for my keys, but I still can't find them.

Leave (a place) FOR another place

√
I haven't seen her since she left (home) for the office this morning. (not left to the office)
C
Care about, care for and take care of
care ABOUT somebody/something =think that somebody/something is important

√
He's very selfish. He doesn't care about other people.

We say 'care what/where/ how ... ' etc. (without about):

√
You can do what you like. I don't care what you do.

care FOR somebody/something
(1) = like something (usually negative sentences)

√
I don't care for very hot weather. (=I don't like ...)

(2) = look after somebody

√
Alan is 85 and lives alone. He needs somebody to care for him.

take care OF ... =look after, keep safe, take responsibility for

√
Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself.
I'll take care of the travel arrangements. You don't need to do anything.

√
D
Look for and Look after
Look FOR ... =search for, try to find

√
I've lost my keys. Can you help me to look for them?

look AFTER ... = take care of, keep safe or in good condition

√
Alan is 85 and lives alone. He needs somebody to look after him. (not look for)
You can borrow this book, but you must promise to look after it.

√



EXERCISES

133.1
Put in the correct preposition. If no preposition is necessary, leave the space empty.

1
I'm not going out yet. I'm waiting ____ for ____ the rain to stop.
2
Don't ask me _____ money. I don't have any.
I've applied _____ a job at the factory. I don't know if I'll get it.
I've applied _____ three colleges. I hope one of them accepts me.
I've searched everywhere _____ Joe, but I haven't been able to find him.
I don't want to talk _____ what happened last night. Let's forget it.
3
4
5
6
7
I don't want to discuss _____ what happened last night. Let's forget it.
We had an interesting discussion _____ the problem, but we didn't reach a decision.
We discussed _____ the problem, but we didn't reach a decision.
I sent her an email. Now I'm waiting _____ her to reply.
Ken and Sonia are travelling in Italy. They're in Rome right now, and tomorrow they leave _____ Venice.
The roof of the house is in very bad condition. I think we ought to do something _____ it.
8
9
10
11

12
13
We waited _____ Steve for half an hour, but he never came.
Tomorrow morning I have to catch a plane. I'm leaving my house _____ the airport at 7.30.
14
133.2
Put in the correct preposition after care. If no preposition is necessary, leave the space empty.

1
He's very selfish. He doesn't care ______ about _____ other people.
2
Who's going to take care ___________ you when you are old?
She doesn't care ___________ the exam. She doesn't care whether she passes or fails.
'Do you like this coat?' 'Not really. I don't care ___________ the colour.'
Don't worry about the shopping. I'll take care ___________ that.
3
4
5
6
He gave up his job to care ___________ his elderly father.
I want to have a good holiday. I don't care ___________ the cost.
I want to have a good holiday. I don't care ___________ how much it costs.
7
8
133.3
Complete the sentences with look for or look after. Use the correct form of look (looks/ looked/looking).

1
I _____ looked for _____ my keys, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
2
Kate is _________________ a job. I hope she finds one soon.
Who _________________ you when you were ill?
I'm _________________ Liz. I need to ask her something. Have you seen her?
The car park was full, so we had to _________________ somewhere else to park.
A babysitter is somebody who _________________ other people's children.
3
4
5
6
133.4
Complete the sentences with these verbs (in the correct form) +a preposition:

apply
ask
do
leave
look
search
talk
wait

1
Police are ______ searching for _____ the man who escaped from prison.
2
Sarah wasn't ready. We had to ______________ her.
I think Ben likes his job, but he doesn't ______________ it much.
When I'd finished my meal, I ______________ the waiter ______________ the bill.
3
4
5
Cathy is unemployed. She has ______________ several jobs, but she hasn't had any luck.
6
If something is wrong, why don't you ______________ something ______________ it?
Helen's car is very old, but it's in excellent condition. She ______________ it very well.
Diane is from Boston, but now she lives in Paris. She ______________ Boston ______________ Paris when she was 19.
7
8





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments